AC vents need covers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have these central ac vents they are square and 11 1/2 inches X 11 1/2 X 1 and I am trying to stop the draft which is coming from them they are ceiling mounted. They have a damper which can be opened or closed by turning a screw in the center but it does not stop the cold air from coming in completely. Forgot to mention they are plastic. Anyone have something like these or similiar, any ideas on how to cover them. Dont want to use duct tape and plastic ! I was hoping I could find a product that would snap on like a tupper ware cover .
Home depot nor Lowes has anything that would work.

I have seen magnetic sheets that will cover the return air grille. I am not sure where to buy it, but it looked like a easy way to cover the register. just a idea, you could make an insulated cover and get magnetic strips to hold it.

They also sell "remote controlled" vent covers. I've seen them at Menards. If they seal up better than what you have it might make a nice snap-in replacement.

I've never seen such a cover for plasic registers. Obviously, the magnetic type won't work. I would try shrink wrap & heat it with a hair dryer or "heat gun" (on low) to shrink it to the register.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I think for appearances sake, you will probably want to pull off the register and stuff something up there. Whatever you use, make sure you remember to take it out before you fire it up in the summer. Shut off the circuit breaker to remind yourself. Other occupants may not realize what you have done.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.