Accentra Insert Six Blink Failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph

Proud Grandparent
Dec 13, 2011
Cape Cod
Cleaned a Accentra insert in the fall including the liner, fines, internal flues, blowers. Tested the stove it fired off no problem. Then got a call it was going into six blink (lack of combustion) failure. Everything operates in test mode and the stove will fire up but once the initial start up is complete the feed motor operates erratically. Sometimes the feed light comes on but there is no feeding, sometimes there is no light but the motor is running, always though the intervals between the feedings is too long ( minute and a half) then it will feed at what ever the feed rate is set. This causes the fire to stay small and after awhile sends the stove into failure. I took a draft reading at the pressure switch and it was around .36 for low draft which should be enough to keep the switch closed. Took a resistance reading of the feed motor and it was 9.9, even tried changing the board with no difference. I'm still thinking about the motor but also the switch even though you always hear -oh those never fail. Anyone think I'm missing the obvious here. If so I'd like to know, I am stumped!

Murph
Tech in training

Hey Murph! Awesome to see you here! Everyone, Murph is a tech for Cape Cod Stove Center....welcome buddy!

Common causes for 6 blink is air leaking in through fine trap door, hopper gasket, auger seal itself or hose that has fallen off of the crossover, missing burn pot gasket, ash trap clean out on burn pot not tight or missing or combustion motor air restriction plate not installed or faulty door gasket. Those all have to do with air. Things that may have to do with fuel...partially plugged vac hose, wrong RPM auger motor, foreign obstruction in the feeder body or slipped gear in the motor housing.

Hey Murph! Awesome to see you here! Everyone, Murph is a tech for Cape Cod Stove Center....welcome buddy!

Common causes for 6 blink is air leaking in through fine trap door, hopper gasket, auger seal itself or hose that has fallen off of the crossover, missing burn pot gasket, ash trap clean out on burn pot not tight or missing or combustion motor air restriction plate not installed or faulty door gasket. Those all have to do with air. Things that may have to do with fuel...partially plugged vac hose, wrong RPM auger motor, foreign obstruction in the feeder body or slipped gear in the motor housing.

That narrows it down!! LOL

double check the seal on the hopper lid. This is a big problem on some of the units. The feed light will be light but the negative pressure switch can stop the auger.

Eric

Cleaned a Accentra insert in the fall including the liner, fines, internal flues, blowers. Tested the stove it fired off no problem. Then got a call it was going into six blink (lack of combustion) failure. Everything operates in test mode and the stove will fire up but once the initial start up is complete the feed motor operates erratically. Sometimes the feed light comes on but there is no feeding, sometimes there is no light but the motor is running, always though the intervals between the feedings is too long ( minute and a half) then it will feed at what ever the feed rate is set. This causes the fire to stay small and after awhile sends the stove into failure. I took a draft reading at the pressure switch and it was around .36 for low draft which should be enough to keep the switch closed. Took a resistance reading of the feed motor and it was 9.9, even tried changing the board with no difference. I'm still thinking about the motor but also the switch even though you always hear -oh those never fail. Anyone think I'm missing the obvious here. If so I'd like to know, I am stumped!

Murph
Tech in training

I had a faulty ESP causing issues like you have described. First, I would check the functioning of the vac switch by starting the stove in normal mode, with a voltmeter measure the voltage from each terminal of the switch to the stove chassis, voltage should be seen on both terminals if the switch is working. Also, make sure the hopper lid switch is working, not loosing contact.

6 blinkers can be tough! Can be alot of things.....even the curcuitboard.....but, not usually. ESP failure will usually be a 3 blink error. With the insert, I would be thinking of rechecking the exhaust path....especially the left tube. Also, take the feed motor out, clean the box it sits in. Im sure you did this, but also, ensure the fines chamber is empty, and the slide plate has been re-engaged in the armature assembly. Also, be sure to check the fines cover is tightly set, and that the upper tongue is engaged onto the feeder weldment......All pretty obvious stuff to a tech, but sometimes, things get missed. Dont discount the fact that a cirtter may have gotten into the liner either, after you cleaned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.