Accentra Pellet Stove on Carpet????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my turn to ask a question.
I went out on an estimate for gas heat in a home that someone just moved into for a work shop area

In the living room I notices a Accentra Pellet Stove sitting on Plush Carpet?
Is that OK?

The New owner said it was there when they bought the house and new nothing about if the homeowner installed it or not.
But they had one in there other house so know about the stove and how to use it.

That is not all I seen wrong.
the venting was crazy. about 30+ feet of 3" vent going in 5 different direction.
Stove sitting in a corner
Had a T sidways of the back of the stove. Going Down hill about 1/4 per foot (yes DOWN)

had a 45 Elbo Swisted at about 15 Deg just befor going into the thimble. then another twisted elbo at 15 deg.sticking out of what looks like a B bent wall thimble.

Going sidways along the outside wall about 8 feet at a 45 deg angle. then a 45 deg going up into a covered porch soffit.

this is the Real crazy thing.
The pipe does not go straight up out the roof.

Now it going about 25 feet across n the attici I have no idea what angle for I did not look.
and comes out of the roof closer to the middle of the house.

The new owner said he will have us fix it next year for he did not have the money to fix it.
I told him it was not safe and sould not be used but I think he is still going to used it.

I did not have my camera but I will post some after I go back.

I looked at the Owners manual online and seen that it said It cant go on carpet but it did say something about a Harmon hearth pad

This stove only has the 1 1/2" cast decorative bead around the base of the unit.

Did someone have extra venting they need to waste or what? Sounds like the job could have been done just fine with about 1/4 of the pipe.

Mine has been on the hearth pad for over 2 years on carpet with no problems.

Souzafone said:
Mine has been on the hearth pad for over 2 years on carpet with no problems.

The owner manual I read Online said it must have NON combustible hearth under it
6" front and 3 on the sides.
and must be under the vent pipe.

This stove has no hearth extension at all in the front or side just the base that comes with the stove.

Rod be careful here. You as a hearth professional will own that stove, if you do one lick of work to it. Should anything go wrong in a court of law. You are the professional
should have known what is required right and wrong. I would never work on it unless I was bring it into code compliance. I would first check to see if that installation was permitted and approved. If not, you have no right working on a non permitted stove you are off the hook. You should require the owners to obtain a permit prior to working on that stove, even calling the inspector in to consult with him. Let him condemn the stove and installation. You as the professional, have now done your job

elkimmeg said:
Rod be careful here. You as a hearth professional will own that stove, if you do one lick of work to it. Should anything go wrong in a court of law. You are the professional
should have known what is required right and wrong. I would never work on it unless I was bring it into code compliance. I would first check to see if that installation was permitted and approved. If not, you have no right working on a non permitted stove you are off the hook. You should require the owners to obtain a permit prior to working on that stove, even calling the inspector in to consult with him. Let him condemn the stove and installation. You as the professional, have now done your job
I was there to do an estimate for a gas stove in another part of the house
I just notice the stove and made a comment to him that stove was not safe.
He said His Concern for me at this time was to get the gas stove in.
and that he would have us fix the venting system on the pellet stove next year.
If I was going to fix it I would fix it correctly.
Just like I have been fixing other dealers installs for the past 18 years.
Like this
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/DONOTDIRCTVENT.jpg
http://www.hearthtools.com/install/nodirectvent2.jpg

Im not going to snitch on the homeowner but I think the inspector for the gas stove will see the Pellet nightmare and might say something. But most of our inspectors here work with Blinders on they only check out what they have been called to check.

Hey rod is that direct vent in a walk way? another code violation

I'm glad you are posting pictures many times I can't post what I see.

Some here think it is made up embellishment, but the truth is I only see only some of the bizzar stuff

I can never post pictures of an investigative incident

Here is one a another town's inspector called me about today It was in a pizza restaurant

Where the FD was called in to check a Co complaint. It seems that the draft hood was so good at exhausting, it would back draft the b vent draft hood hot water heater

which extinguished to pilot. To solve this problem the owners disconnected the vent. It was venting into the kitchen

I'm in the south right now and the internet is as slow as some of the residents......So I won't post to much till Sunday....
But the Accentra needs to maintain the same clearances as the rest of the harman line.............UNLESS you buy the cast iron hearth pad only available for the Accentra FS........I know, I shook my head when I saw my brother in laws accentra on that hearth on carpet.....
It's hard to tell if it's there it looks like it's just the base.... not a hearth.....
The venting?????? Sounds like the installer used to be a plumber :cheese:

The photos above are NOT of the harmon job im was talking about
they are of a Direct vent job we change to a Vertical install.

Status
Not open for further replies.