Access to the top of your Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
A few weeks back I was in Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic. Really a neat place that dates back thousands of years. That's another story. But I saw a lot of wood burning going on. I looked up and saw a cat walk system used to access the top of the chimneys on this roof. I think I see a hatch door on the roof as well. Thought you guys would like to see it.

Chimney access.jpeg.jpg

Thought you guys would like to see it.

Thank you so much for sharing. I have a stainless steel class A chimney and have considered boxing it out and covering with stone veneer when I reroof the house. This gives me more ideas to make some kind of perch for topside sweeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few weeks back I was in Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic. Really a neat place that dates back thousands of years. That's another story. But I saw a lot of wood burning going on. I looked up and saw a cat walk system used to access the top of the chimneys on this roof. I think I see a hatch door on the roof as well. Thought you guys would like to see it.

View attachment 215771
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Well, in fact, since I did the install a few years back. I'd skip the hatch, but I'd love some sort of crows nest that would allow me to stand flat and secure when working at the top of the chimney. And, a permanent ladder off the side of the house up to the "nest".

When I see some photos of what people have to deal with to clean their chimneys I am grateful for the chimney on our house. It contains three flues and has a cement cap on top that measures roughly 3 feet x 5 feet. This allows me to climb on top to do my sweeps and have a secure footing while I work. I'd hate to deal with some of those chimneys that are six feet or more tall right at the edge of the roof!