Selkirk 6” which support system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cric8192

Sep 19, 2023
Ontario
My roof consists of nothing more than 1” barn board sheathing and tin, all the support systems I see incorporate fancy trim pieces and insulation barriers giving height to extend into the attic. If I don’t have any depth to my roof how do I support the setup at the roof?

Saw a video of a guy on YouTube and he used the flashing as the support which seems wrong to me figure the wind would blow the chimney all over the place lol.

Any help appreciated..

Any rafters? What’s holding the wood and tin up?

It’s a post and beam barn with actual logs as rafters spaced far apart 4-5’ The 1” boards run the entire length of the barn and would be structural

Can you run some bracing between the log rafters? Say, the logs run N/S from the eaves to the ridge, can you secure some 5 foot 2x6s E/W between them, then a couple shorties N\S to make an 18x18” or whatever the box you get requires. I think then you could put a cathedral ceiling box in and switch to class A above the roof.