Actual seasoning time for pitch pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Just had a free delivery of pine rounds, and made an offhanded comment to the oldtimer driving the truck that it only takes six months to cure. He remarked that no, pine should be seasoned for two years due to the creasote. I know it will burn after six months, been there done that. But I am wondering, should it be seasoned longer? I have plenty of wood, only took this because it was delivered right to my front door.

I have always burned pine after six months or so until last season. I had a half cord left over from the year before and won't ever burn it in less than a year again. The stuff seasoned over a year was harder and it burned more like hardwood than the six month stuff ever has. Can't explain it really. It was just different. And better.

BrotherBart said:
Can't explain it really. It was just different. And better.
I had the same experience with some 3 year old Birch. What a difference that extra year made.

Thats it then. This stuff is going on the 2011 stack.

I burn almost exclusively softwoods...predominantly Lodgepole Pine, but a few others as well. I've made an effort to get myself 3+ years ahead, so that everything I burn has been split & stacked for 2-3 years, regardless of exactly what kind of wood it is. Works for me. Rick

I can't say that I burn much pine where I am in Ohio, but doesn't it make sense to wait as long as possible? We all know that more "seasoning" you give your wood, the less moisture it will have, which makes it burn more completely, less creosote etc. My humble opinion is try to season split wood at least a year if you can. And it sounds like you can wait do that. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.