Actual vs. practical split length for Morso 7110?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

southernmaine

Oct 19, 2021
York County, ME USA
I am expecting a Morso 7110 in a few months. Having a woodstove is new to this house, so I will likely be purchasing some local kiln dried wood to get us going for the balance of the winter (and expecting to get 16" from the local suppliers).

Moving forward, I will have control over log length with some hardwood trees on my property ready to be dropped and CSS. I'm hoping to do some splittin' before the installation, so I don't physically have the stove around to reference.

For the Morso 7110, I have found:
- Log length 16.5" on the website
- The manual PDF says a max of 18"
- The manual PDF later on suggests using logs ~10" in length (I think that's just for getting the stove going, though?)
- Finally, my distributor/installer is suggesting 12 or 14" to make it easier to squeeze/angle in the door for loading and reloading.

Overthinking is what I do best; can any current 7110 owners suggest what's actually reasonable and practical here? I think I'm OK with using 16" even if you have to awkwardly angle through the door, but if it's an absolute PITA and I can do 14" with my own bucking, then perhaps I'll thank myself later?

Order or cut to 16". If from a seller, the length most likely will not be exact.

The firebox is tiny. I would go 14" max. When I buy 16" from a wood seller in a pinch, I end up having to cut them down.