Adapter height shorter than Summit outlet.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
I am installing the Summit this weekend, there will be plenty of pictures for you photo hounds. Received the liner today, have to make a few minor adjustments to get the adapter to work, no big deal. Do you fellers use furnace cement where the liner goes into the adapter? The adapter is actually shorter in height than the insert outlet, by about 1/2”. I will most likely cut off the flat flange that would normally sit against the insert top. Otherwise it will be 1/2” above the top surface of the of the insert. If i push it all the way down til it rests flat on top of the insert top, it again will be 1/2” short of the top edge of the insert outlet & won’t allow the liner to slide into & mount to the adapter. See photos.
Its supposed to rain here Saturday, of course, again my luck LOL. But as soon as that rain ends or slows down enough, I’ll be up there installing that liner quicker than Santa can get his fat arse down the chimney.

Attachments

• ADAPTER HEIGHT COMPARED TO INSERT OUTLET1.jpg
    ADAPTER HEIGHT COMPARED TO INSERT OUTLET1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 278
  • ADAPTER1.jpg
    ADAPTER1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 273
That thing is goofy. What the hell is that plate on the liner adapter supposed to accomplish?

I need me some education here.

BrotherBart said:
That thing is goofy. What the hell is that plate on the liner adapter supposed to accomplish?

I need me some education here.

Ok,,,, this is a Dura Liner system. Rigid from top down to flex from above smoke shelf to insert outlet.
The adapter is made to slip over the outside of the insert outlet. The flat flange is supposed to be screwed on all 4 corners to top of insert. With furnace cement sandwiched in between. I an NOT making unnecessary holes into the top of my new insert. Besides to get that flange flat to the insert top, the op edge would be too short compared to the insert outlet. LOL, doh. So I am going to cut flag off use the collar portion and mount adapter(now collar) onto the insert adapter. The flex has an inner & out sleeve where it mounts to the adapter collar. So it covers outside, but also goes inside, keeping the downward drip properties spec'd for creosote dripping. I may be able to go straight onto the insert outlet with the flex. But I think it will be too loose on the inside. Maybe not , it does taper wider. Hmmm May not even need adapter.
the dealer sent me an extra 5"x 3' double wall insulated pc of chimney liner also, I guess I'll ebay that, unless Elk or Corie can use it for the donation program. But it is 5" I think.
Should I be using furnace cement where the flex goes into the adapter or outlet depending which way I go?

Attaching a photo of the insert end of the flex.

Attachments

• FLEX LINER TO INSERT OUTLET MNT.JPG
    FLEX LINER TO INSERT OUTLET MNT.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 229
Yeah cement around it where it goes into the insert. Every crimped connector I have ever leak checked leaked and diluted the draft. If you have the working room, put the furnace cement around the inside of the flue collar before you insert the adapter. Then with the baffle out reach up into the flue collar and smooth the seal. Makes for a neater seal with that nasty crap.

Buy a large box of latex gloves before you even start with furnace cement. With the adventures this year I went through two boxes of them.

BrotherBart said:
Buy a large box of latex gloves before you even start with furnace cement. With the adventures this year I went through two boxes of them.

...........Ever join a thread in progress and wonder just what the he((........... :gulp:

MrGriz said:
BrotherBart said:

...........Ever join a thread in progress and wonder just what the he((........... :gulp:

Don't attempt to adjust your screen, you have now entered...........THE TWILIGHT ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.