Add-On Thermodisc Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooper08

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
South Lyon, MI
Having a hard time finding a specific answer on this, but looking to get one of those magnetic add-on thermodisc kits to connect to my blower. Looking to burn more 24/7 this year than in the past and do less getting up an down during the day. I've read that you should attach the sensor near the bottom of the stove/insert but that's the best I've found so far. Do I just put it on the outside wall near the hearth behind the face plate and call it good? Slightly higher that's more inline with the firebox floor, further back towards the middle or back? Or, do I just mess around with it to find out what works best?

Most units have it in a location that will eventually get to the activation temperature of the disc.
That is usually LOW on the firebox, as that is the LAST place to reach that temp.
That will keep the blower from coming on before the stove body is properly heated.
No sense in moving air that won't carry the MAXIMUM amount of heat. The movement of
that air can also lower the temperature of the firebox, somewhat, & that's another reason for it to have
a delayed activation.

I never use mine. I found it very annoying hearing the blower kicking on and off while the insert hovered at a certain temp. I let it run 24/7 when the stove is being used 24/7. I do turn it down while reloading though, then right back up when stove hits desired temp.