Added 2' to chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
I added 2 ft to my chimney(class A) and it sure seems to make a big difference in the Liberty. Much better draft so that now I can damper down completely at night and still have coals and heat in the morning. The glass is not completely black either. That Liberty sure is easy to light, it just takes off. I have only had a couple of fires, I just started one this am to take the chill out of the house.
Doug

It was about 16' so it went to 18'. There is a roof about 9' away and before it was about even with that roof, now it is definately 2' higher. Breaking the plane of the other roof helped alot.
Doug

I am thinking of adding a couple of feet in length as well.
Can you describe how you secured the extenstion and would you be able to post a picture.
Thanks

Be sure to add a roof brace if there is more than 5' of flue pipe above the roof.

djblech said:
It was about 16' so it went to 18'. There is a roof about 9' away and before it was about even with that roof, now it is definately 2' higher. Breaking the plane of the other roof helped alot.
Doug

Yep, you will not be happy if you have part of the house or roof nearby and the stovepipe/chimney does not go at least some above that, particularly if the stovepipe is downwind of that obstruction.... I have read and heard advice to make that difference four feet plus, but each situation is different.

I had supports that I made using 10' elect conduit. I just crushed the ends and drilled a hole on each end. I just attached one end to the locking collar that I use with the class A chimney, and the other end up under a shingle using a lag bolt. I have about 7' above the roof line now. My boiler chimney is about 9' above the roofline. Menards, where I got the class A chimney has a support kit that comes with everything.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.