Adding a remote receiver to Jotul GF 100 DV II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yorkville

Apr 27, 2024
seattle
Looking to add a remote receiver to GF 100 DV II.

Owner's manual shows this diagram below (jotul.jpg).

Here is a picture showing the current connections (jotul2.jpg). I believe the terminal block should be rotated clockwise 90 degree to match the diagram.

Given the current orientation of the terminal block, I will connect two wires from the remote receiver to the bottom two poles on the terminal block. Since one is already occupied by the black cable going to the backside of TH, what should I do? Can I squeeze in another wire on the same pole? The wiring diagram seems to suggest that.

Once connected, where do people usually place the remote receiver? I don't see a mounting bracket next to the terminal block.

Also, I am curious as to why the black cable is connected on the back side of TH pole, as the front of TH is empty.

jotul.jpg

jotul2.jpg

Attach the remote to two terminals with “TH.”
Those terminals are for a switch. A t-stat is a switch.
The terminals labeled with “TP “ are for the thermopile.

What you know mean by: two terminals with "TH'? The three terminals are labelled as TH, TP, TH/TP.

The diagram shows one wire between remote and TH via the terminal block. But the second wire is between remote and the on-position of the rocker switch.

Ok, my bad. One of the terminal labels is TH. One of the terminal labels is TH-TP. Those two BOTH have a TH in them. TH = THermostat.
Connect to the terminals with TH.

Like Daksy said you can attach the leads directly to TH and TH-TP and it will work fine. The only thing is the remote will function regardless of what position the rocker switch is in. If you have ocd and you only want the remote to function only when the rocker switch is in the stat position, then follow the diagram. With your stove being direct vent it is ok to connect the remote wires directly to that valve.

I usually use Velcro and attach the remote to the bottom of the valve, or just wrap the wires and box around the iron gas pipe behind the stove to hide it, or if yours has the little front door that swings open to hide the valve, you can prop it up on the bottom ledge of that door. Regardless I always recommend to remove the batteries over the summer or large periods of time without use to prevent batteries leaking.

You mean connect it like this:

I guess the On switch position must have a separate connection to the thermopile not shown in the diagram?

jotul_a.png

No should work as shown. Is it not?

I have not bought the remote receiver yet. I am just trying to understand the discussions here. Sorry, I am a newbie at this.

Understood, both methods work, except the manufacturer's diagram requires the rocker switch to be in STAT position.

Thanks to both @Millbilly and @DAKSY. Now I need to search for a remote receiver, preferably one with wifi and can work with an app on phone.