Adding a viewing window to a furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Hey all,

Is it possible to add a small ceramic window to a furnace firebox, so that one can see inside a bit? I have just finished installing my Charmaster whole house wood furnace (I'll post pics soon) and it has a 3/16" steel front, and an access panel where the oil burner goes (if you have one; I don't). I would like to cut a small hole, maybe 2" square, in that panel, and cover it with a sheet of clear ceramic or glass, but I am not sure if this is sensible or possible. If anyone has a furnace with such a viewing window, could you please take a pic or tell me about it here so I can see if I can get something together?

Thanks

Dean

England Stove Works put a window in the loading door of theirs a few years ago. I don't know that I would advise cutting into an existing door but I know where you are coming from. Being able to see the burn tells ya a lot about how efficient it is.

I damn sure wouldn't cut a hole in a firebox.

Here's the blank oil burner panel on the right. The fire draft door on the left I would not touch.

Attachments

• DSCN2347.JPG
    DSCN2347.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 326
Heck if you can get a glass shop to cut and drill a piece of Pyroceram to fit the oil burner hole, why not?

It ain't gonna be cheap. Cutting it, yes. Getting them to drill it, I dun tink so Lucy.

If one was to put in a window you would have to make sure the frame where the window is going to be placed was reinforced to prevent warping. The glass would have to be sealed.
If placed in the wrong spot your glass might get smoked up quickly.

Home depot had some furnaces with a view door last year. I think that it would be smoked up fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.