Adding bricks as a heat sink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markam

Dec 14, 2005
I was looking behind my insert surround while cleaning the liner and saw all the wasted space between the sides of the insert and my hearth walls. Anybody know of any reason I couldn't load up that empty space with bricks I have lying around in order to create more mass to hold heat?

Reactions: wildwildwest
If this is an interior chimney it might help, but I doubt you would notice it much. If it is an exterior chimney a block-off plate and insulating the walls will have a greater result.

Reactions: bholler
I wondered about putting brick on/around my insert. I cannot do that now (with the new freestanding stove the wife would kill me). But, I do wonder about it. Kinda like the idea of soapstone, to hold/radiate the heat, perhaps help even it out over the burn.......

If you decide to try it, please update your thoughts on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.