Adding Fire Brick- Good? bad? Indifferent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
During the summer I replaced the fire brick in my stove, floor, sides, and back. I had some that were cracked, chipped, and the price was right, So I replaced all of them. Anyway.... I had a few good ones left over-- so my question is, Would it help or be benefitial to add firebrick above the angle iron on the sides and back of the inner stove walls? Again steel stove, 24 wide, 17 high 17 deep firebox, so after the 1 brick high, theres room for bricks to be added sideways above iron, on both sides and back. Would this help preserve the steel walls, help retain more heat in firebox below steel baffle, or would it make a difference either way, anyone do this as an experiment with the older stoves? Comments, answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Should not make a difference - and, after 26 years of service (or just age), you have to thank that old beast every day!

I used to sell Gold Marc.....heck of a stove! How 'bout a wiki entry on them before all history get's lost?

Monticello, NY as I remember......very well fabricated stove for the early days. I remember slinging them around by the dozen.

Thanks for response Craig, yeah I was wondering if the firebrick would hinder the heat dissipation to outer jacket( where air flows around to blow out top), but also help in raising heat in firebox. Yes Monticello NY, Gold Marc Industries, still there but a long time from making stoves, quit back in 80's. They produced the Plainsman, Fireplace Insert, and Prospector. Prospecter reminds me of that Fisher Step top, while the Plainsman is a free standing model of the insert, with four knobs vs three on Prospector. Sold alot to the local lumber yards, LLoyds Lumber in Hyde Park, (another lost company to Home Cheapo) being one of them. A few guys around here, My father-in-law being one of them, got them during the energy crisis. My father-in-law only used it like 2 seasons, in wich he scared himself from using it, by leaving the knobs open, going to bed, only later coming down to a glowing stove! sat for 22 years on the hearth, before I cleaned her up, and fired her up. not much on the internet can be found of them, I found the manual in the basement, and it dosent give a whole lot of dos and donts, its like trial and err on the caution!

Status
Not open for further replies.