Adding Firebrick to a Soapstone Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
I would like to add a layer of firebrick to the bottom of my soapstone firebox to
help the floor of my hearth from getting too hot (seems a bit so on mine).
Of course, I could do mod's to my hearth, but they would either require a major
rebuild or a pad/matt would take away from the appearance. My stove requires
a hearth w/ an R-Value of 0.6 - mine is probably more like 0.4

Best (right) thing of course is to upgrade your hearth pad to the correct R-Value.

I would think the next best thing would be to put some sort of heat shield between the bottom of the stove and the hearth. A piece of sheet metal suspended under there with at least 1" of air gap above and below would go a long way toward reducing the temperature of the pad right below the stove.

Yup, get a proper heat shield for it. Safety first!

Then build a beefy masonry hearth for it. There
is nothing like it, as it will hold and radiate heat long after
your burn has stopped. Just like soapstone!

Hmmm . . . not much of a difference there with .6 and .4 . . . but that said when it comes to the safety of my family and the preservation of my property I think I would err on the side of safety and make things right with a rebuilt hearth.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
I would like to add a layer of firebrick to the bottom of my soapstone firebox to
help the floor of my hearth from getting too hot (seems a bit so on mine).
Of course, I could do mod's to my hearth, but they would either require a major
rebuild or a pad/matt would take away from the appearance. My stove requires
a hearth w/ an R-Value of 0.6 - mine is probably more like 0.4

So, how hot is too hot, what kind of temps are you seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.