Adding to my chimney, need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mazz1111

Mar 18, 2009
western NC
Hey folks.............

been a while, hope all is well....

PART ONE
I am building an addition and need to add about 8 feet of chimney....I recently chiseled off the existing cap to see what I had to work with.

I can see the 4" block all the way around the two existing flues (except for one corner which is brick)...

The issue is that every image or book I have seen there is block between the flue stacks. On my chimney there is nothing but a stacked (No MORTAR) pile of bricks b/t the flue tile and b/t the tile and block...

I need to add on but not sure how to proceed

PART TWO
When I do know how to proceed, I was wondering what the best way to anchor new chimney stack to old is (anchor bolts, rebar? etc)

In the pic, The chimney is 32 X 53", the tiles are 18x18, and 8.5x12.5", 25-30 ft high as is
thanks to all
mike

Attachments

• chimney block.jpg
    chimney block.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 254
Status
Not open for further replies.