larryjbjr Posted By larryjbjr, Oct 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM

1. JRemington

JRemington
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 4, 2017
    Loc:
    Belleville New York
    I've seen boilers that have been destroyed by creosote fires. I've been told it can burn at 1500 degrees.

2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I don't think I would consider creosote build up in a firebox as something protective.

It can be quite corrosive actually, especially a buildup of liquidy type stuff that might run down and accumulate under some ashes & stay there. What builds up on firebox walls usually is dry scaly stuff that will only build up so much - seems to burn off a bit each burn, with regular hot operation. But bets are kind of off if it's the thicker gooey stuff you would get from excess smoldering.

3. larryjbjr

larryjbjr
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 24, 2017
    Loc:
    WI
    OK, I have a little of both. Mostly the dry stuff but I also have quite a bit of the gooey stuff on the door and stuff.

4. SuperSpy

SuperSpy
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2017
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Creosote build-up is somewhat corrosive, but the big problem is that it traps moisture up against the steel which greatly accelerate corrosion.

5. JRemington

JRemington
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 4, 2017
    Loc:
    Belleville New York
    Changing my wood boiler to a coal boiler was the best thing I ever did. That ended the creosote issue and I load it once a day. I went from 30 cord of wood to four ton of coal.

6. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Small hot fires will help to keep the creosote dry and flakey if you can get away with them from time to time. Absence of moisture nearly eliminates the corrosion process.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

7. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    30 cords?? Holy moly....

8. salecker

salecker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Holly crap what are you heating?
    I know a guy who goes through at least that much wood up here.He has a CB and poor underground lines.He heats his house and shop.His heat load isn't much more than mine and i use around 8 cords a year.