Adhesive for Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm about to replace the door gasket on my wood insert. It's been a while, but I think I've used the red silicone adhesive in the past with good results. The typical cement that you see in hardware stores associated with gasket replacement seems to be the hard silica stuff, although admittedly I didn't look close.

I'm thinking I should stick with the high temp (although the door probably gets hotter) silicone.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Automotive style high temp rtv. “Ultra black”.

Red or Black RTV will work fine. I am noticing more stores and stove shops now have black Rutland RTV on the rack.

Thanks. I did another cruise of the hardware store. They had the red silicone sealant, good to 600F. The stuff that came with the rope gasket comes in a small flexible tube which says it's good to 2000F. I'll see what the stove guy says tomorrow when I buy the 7/8" gasket that the hardware store didn't carry.

Many new stoves are now using RTV for the door gasket. It works better.