Adjustable double wall elbows?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I have a slightly irregular stove pipe configuration. The moron who installed it for me last year put in a harsh 90 degree elbow leaving a 2.5' horizontal section to the wall. I have since softened it to where the 90 is now more open (about 110) and I now have about a 3" rise to the wall. My draft is much better and creosote is no longer collecting in the elbow.

Now that I've finally got it to where I want it, ideally I would like to have it in double wall. I've been googling for awhile, but cannot seem to find adjustable double wall elbows as they have with single wall. Anyone know where I can find them?

i dont know if there are any out there , ive never seen one, i did a quick and dirty check of simpson duravents website and they do not show any adjustable double wall elbows, might just be a hard nut to crack there. wish ya luck finding one, sorry i couldnt be of more help.

mike

If the 90° elbow is now more open(less angle?), doesn't that make it a lower number in degrees? I think 110° would be a tighter angle. Can you work it with a 45° or a 30° elbow, and match that with the same on the wall? I know they make 45° & 30° double wall elbows at Dura Vent.

I think they only make the class A in 30 deg. elbows. Double wall are 90 and 45. last time I checked.

Guess it would be a lower number, huh? Whatever... I did way too much thinking at work today. it's about 10 degrees more open than before, 80 or so.

I tried the setup with two 45's but it blew the wall clearance. Maybe it would work with double wall. I'd have to measure it. I'd hate to redo this all again now that I have found the sweet spot as far as draft goes. I'd much rather find adjustable elbows.

BeGreen said:
I think they only make the class A in 30 deg. elbows. Double wall are 90 and 45. last time I checked.

My mistake. The 30° I was thinking of is their dura liner rigid double wall elbow. Insulated with fiber not air between the pipes.

I tried 2/45's. It didn't allow for enough vertical rise out of the stove, and also put the straight section of pipe too close to the wall. The one 45 and one 30 degree elbow didn't line up right. I tried this thing about 5 different ways before I found something that worked. Oh well. Guess I'll have to stay with single wall.

rudysmallfry said:
Guess it would be a lower number, huh? Whatever... I did way too much thinking at work today. it's about 10 degrees more open than before, 80 or so.

I tried the setup with two 45's but it blew the wall clearance. Maybe it would work with double wall. I'd have to measure it. I'd hate to redo this all again now that I have found the sweet spot as far as draft goes. I'd much rather find adjustable elbows.

Does it have to be double wall? is that what you have now?
NM, just reread your original post. I don't think they make an adjustable double wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.