advice for "winterizing stove"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moey

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2012
Southern Maine
I dont expect to be using our pellet stove this winter. We got a geothermal system installed and doubt I will be using the pellet stove for heat.

Here lies the problem though, I cant power the geo system with my generator ( even a standby generator may struggle handling the startup surge ) so Id like my pellet stove to be usable without having to mess with things when the power is out and my family is freezing.

I pulled the oak figured under the circumstances it isnt needed. What about the exhaust though if I leave it open all winter its basically a path for cold air to come in the house. Currently I pulled the combustion motor and stuffed rags in the vent there. I dont like that solution because Im sure Id be in a hurry freezing when the power goes out and screw something up putting it together again.

Any brilliant suggestions?

Stove is CB 1200..

YOu may want to use use the pellet stove on the coldest days,that geo system is effecient ,but will still use a lot of KW on the coldest days.
This is one circumstance where a regular wood stove shines,ready in case of emergency. Dont worry about freezing,even a poorly insulated house will only drop a degree or 2 an hour.
Make sure the humidity is low in the stove room. I have to run a de-humidifier all summer in my stove room to keep my stove from rusting.

Make it ready to burn. Leave the cord unplugged and have a note attached to it stating that the outside vent needs to be unblocked and a card over the controls stating basically the same thing. Not that hard to uncover or unplug the vent in most situations and have two notices of what to do when needed.

Reactions: mralias
This isn't related to your question but how does the cost per btu of the geothermal system compare to a pellet stove?

Usually people move away from electric/oil around here.

Off peak electric rates for heat pumps etc have electric rate half of normal in our area. 6 cents per killowatt

Make it ready to burn. Leave the cord unplugged and have a note attached to it stating that the outside vent needs to be unblocked and a card over the controls stating basically the same thing. Not that hard to uncover or unplug the vent in most situations and have two notices of what to do when needed.

I thought of covering it outside, the problem is the vent is hard to get at outside the ground is sloped at about 45 degrees or so. During non snow conditions its a 2 person job three person to do it safely with a extension ladder. Ive always left it uncapped outside and plugged it inside instead for that reason but I pull the exhaust blower in that case.

I could pull the bottom of the T outside and plug it that way but that may turn into a frozen mess.

This isn't related to your question but how does the cost per btu of the geothermal system compare to a pellet stove?

Usually people move away from electric/oil around here.

For me with the system I have. It would be about $9.50 per million btu ( electric 13.3kw/hr) . Wood pellets are about $17-$20 per million btu. Oil round $30.

Heat pumps ( ground source ) are about 400% efficient. Meaning you get 4 times the BTU for what you would get out of straight electric resistance heating.

Put a rubber band around the plastic bag and tie a string on the bag so if you need to remove you pull the string that is located in a easy to reach spot.

Install a manual damper in the inside exhaust pipe as close to the outside wall as possible. Close the damper when not in use. Open it when you use it.

Moey,
If your worried I can take it to my house and keep it warm all winter for you ! Plus then I'll have 4 ( so I win ! )
Seriously this is one of those things that I would wonder about .
I get calls from people all the time about their pools ( we don't plan on using it this summer what do we do ? )
In my mind this is just a longer shut down then summer doesn't seem like you would do much different then what you would do in the spring .
Not an expert just my thoughts .

Status
Not open for further replies.