Advice needed:Best time and what to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atlas

Mar 19, 2007
I'm in the market for either a pellet or biomass burning stove for use as an additional heat source. I was wondering when the best buys are usually found. Would it be now, at the end of the burning season, or are the even better deals later on into summer? I'm on a fixed income, and money is tight, so any advice as to what would be cheapest in initial purchase and cost to operate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The big box stores tend to be about a month or two ahead of the season. Most have already cleared out some great deals on Englander pellet stoves by now. But it's worth a call to every Home Depot and Lowes in your area to see if they have any Englander pellet stoves left. They were going for clearance prices a few weeks ago.

Now is a good time to look at stores that carry stoves as a part of their business. They are clearing out for more seasonal items for summer. Sutherland Lumber carries several lines and have discounted prices. The local store has an additional 15% off on remaining stock on hand.

Yes, I had heard about the 50% off sales at Lowes and Home Depot, but wasn't able to find any left in any of the stores near me. Is it unrealistic to hope to find any similar deals like that before October, or should I just jump on the best deal I can find now, before they are all sold? I have read that sales of stoves were down considerably this past season and there should be a tremendous surplus on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.