Advice of disposition of an Alaskan Kodiak insert (Fisher Grandpa copy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R2.0

Oct 31, 2013
Maryland
Now that I have my VC Winterwarm installed, it's time to look to the other stove in the house. The previous owner did a "slammer" install of an Alaskan Kodiak double door insert in an old Heatilator fireplace in the basement. Per the sweep who inspected the other chimneys, the flue is dirty but appears in good shape; nonetheless I'm not going to run it as is. So I'm looking for ideas on what to do with it. Here are some options:

1) Sell it. I would list it here first, then on CL.
  • Should I sell as-is or clean/paint it first?
  • How much should I ask?
  • What should I do with the fireplace after? Seal the flue? Buy another stove?
2) Re-line the chimney and use it.
  • My impression is that these go through wood pretty quickly
  • Reline is $1500
  • I don't really live in the basement much, though if it was warmer that might change.
3) ??? Not a lot of ideas here. Any help would be appreciated.

1st, There is nothing wrong at all with the Kodiak and "you own it"! It's there as a heat source if you need it so even if you don't use it much, it's still there. They use wood, but not as much as you may think…. My opinion, clean it up where it's at, take your time, do your nessesary chimney repair work and call it good. It's there, why not use it! I own Fishers, but kodiak also made a very high quality stove…:cool: just my opinion.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with the Kodiak. But it's really not giving me any benefit either. With my other wood stove in place I doubt that the $1500 I would spend to re-line the could be recouped any time soon. If I sell it I can at least get a little cash to put toward other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.