Advice on building a fire surround/ false chimney breast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graeme

Sep 28, 2016
Motherwell
Hi, I've just bought a 1960s house with a Baxi Burnall fireplace. I've removed the dated sandstone fire surround which went from wall to wall across the room but intend to keep the open fire and install a more modern looking fire surround.
Maybe a split stone veneer, floor to ceiling... something like this (but against the wall): 9434e595e2465a12290835e77c843c34.jpg

I'd want to build this out from the wall for both visual effect and also to minimise smoke entering the room. Currently, the fire opening is flush with the wall The question is what materials should be used to build the framework? I've seen a build on line which had timber 2x4 studwork with what looked like cement backing board and the stone veneer on top. I'd be concerned about using timber framing especially around the opening of the fire, even though it would be covered with cement board and stone veneer?

Any thoughts on this? What alternative materials could be used to create the false chimney breast?

Steel studs.
Why does it smoke into the room? Sounds like you've got some issues that need addressed before you get too involved in this project. How tall is the flue?

Thanks for the quick response webby... Would the Gypframe studs from Brittish Gypsum be suitable. Gypframe-AcouStuds.jpg
Using their Glasroc F boards or cement boards?
I've never lit the fire so I don't know if it is smoking into the room. I got the chimney swept and asked the guy if the fire was okay to use in it's current state. He said yes but as the fire surround had been removed (This previously added over 4" to the depth of the opening) he suggested that I fit some sort of hood at the top of the fire opening... I figure building out the fire surround would have the same advantage...

Those studs will do fine. Just be sure to avoid using anything combustible.

Status
Not open for further replies.