Advice on converting wood stove to insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sarahemccoy

May 7, 2021
Dracut, MA
Hello! Brand new here. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I currently have a wood stove in my family room. It was previously a pellet stove so there is a brick chimney which the pipe vents into. I love the heat and the warmth, but I don't love the big ugly black pipe and the ugly white brick hearth that it sits on. I have dreams of a beautiful stone hearth with fireplace insert. I did a bit of research last year when I started thinking about it, and I was told that my best route to take would be the Northstar made by Heat N Glo. My first question is - should we frame out on top of the existing hearth and then install the Northstar? Or should we rip out the existing bricks/hearth and install the Northstar into the wall? I attached photos of what we have and what I want.

tempImageGpDIif.png tempImagea9LLXj.png IMG_7748.jpg

This would require a total replacement of both the wood stove and chimney, then construction of a chase and new chimney system for a Zero Clearance fireplace. Can be done, but it will be quite expensive.

The hearth would be removed too. How large of an area is the stove room and how open is this to the rest of the house?

Last edited:
Reactions: sarahemccoy
What is being described is a total replacement of both the wood stove and chimney, then construction of a chase and new chimney system for a Zero Clearance fireplace. Can be done, but it will be quite expensive. How large of an area is the stove room and how open is this to the rest of the house?

The room is 500 sq ft with 15 foot ceilings and its wide open to the rest of the house

A much less expensive option would be to paint the stove and stovepipe white.

Reactions: Highbeam
The room is 500 sq ft with 15 foot ceilings and its wide open to the rest of the house
Ok, my concern was about overheating the area. A ceiling fan will help distribute the heat. The Northstar is one option, there are several other good ZC fireplaces if you want a different look, or size, or single-door.

This would require a total replacement of both the wood stove and chimney, then construction of a chase and new chimney system for a Zero Clearance fireplace. Can be done, but it will be quite expensive.

The hearth would be removed too. How large of an area is the stove room and how open is this to the rest of the house?

Do you think there is a better option that the Northstar? It sounds like I'm going to be starting from studs no matter what. Do you think it would make more sense just to build a fireplace and install a regular wood stove insert? What do you think would be more cost effective?

Now I am brand new at this stuff but that stove chimney does not look that big --thin looking and tall--is that an okay one for the size of that large stove? If you have the money I say tear out the whole thing and get exactly what you want--Yes ...If it were me I would get a free standing stove and make the background beautiful like you want and I would be looking at those bari"s,,I love those,,clancey

Do you think there is a better option that the Northstar? It sounds like I'm going to be starting from studs no matter what. Do you think it would make more sense just to build a fireplace and install a regular wood stove insert? What do you think would be more cost effective?
The latter option makes less sense economically. A good ZC fireplace will last a long time. I like the single-door units better. There are nice units from RSF and Pacific Energy that are worth considering if you can get them locally.