Advice on Englander NC-30 Fireplace Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrianB

Hello. I am looking at wood stoves and have narrowed it down to a couple of options, and although I've learned a lot in the last few weeks of research, I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on my choice/plan here from some more knowledgable persons before I proceed. I've got my choice narrowed down to the Englander NC-30, the NC-13, or the insert version of the 13. The stove will go into an existing masonry fireplace, exterior chimney, in a drafty old log/stone cabin, 1100 sq feet spread out over three floors. I know the NC-30 is rated as being too big for my square footage, but I thought the combination of the draftiness, the layout (3 floors), and the fact that it will be sitting halfway inside the fireplace will mitigate the extra unneeded output. I feel the NC-13 or the insert version might be too small for me based on those same factors. Also, I like the idea of a larger firebox so I can get overnight or away-all-day burns. This stove will be my main source of heat. Does anyone have any thoughts on this they could share? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I asked almost the exact same question over 3 years ago here on this forum, 30-NC vs. 13NC. The difference is my location (SC TN), 2050 sq ft house and a single floor. I went with the 30-NC and never looked back.

The good news is that it's just about time for Englander/HD to put their 30-NC on sale somewhere in the country. Normally a ~$1K stove for $650 +/- plus $100 for shipping. Not a bad deal at all, IMO.

Pics, before and after:

HBjkktn.jpg aDKMBG2.jpg O0VuaVG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: