Advice on my wood burning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony C

Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
MD
Hello, first post
I recently purchased my first home, and the previous owner left a wood burning stove in our basement fireplace. He didn't give us much info about it and said he never used it. It looked as though he acquired it some how and just stuck it in the fireplace. Anyway I am posting because I would love to use this thing but I don't want to burn the house down :)

My main concerns are that there is no trim sealing the stove into the fireplace, and there is also no tube extending up into the chimney. Here are some pictures, please give me some advice if I can make it work or should I just get rid of it?

I pulled it out some to take the pics:

This is the vent on top, it is just setting on top right now, and appears to be on backwards.

Thank you
Anthony C

That stove looks neat. I'll be watching this thread. I hope someone has some info on it.

I can tell you, It's a freestanding stove, so your concern of no trim sealing it to the fireplace isn't much of a problem. However, don't burn it until you get it professionally installed, and they may not install it if it's a non-EPA stove.

Stop, drop and roll. This baby ain't safely usable as she sits. What is on the tag on the lower right of the stove face? You may also want to pull it out a little further and check to see if there are any tags on the back side of the stove.

Edit: she doesn't seem to be abused, but more needs to be known. If this was a free stander, where are the legs. Just cuz they can be unbolted doesn't mean its acceptable to do so. It appears that there is a missing adapter for the flue pipe as well. If possible, you may want to take a pic of the inside, top of the stove (and post it). That can tell a bunch about the stove.

First reaction is that this was a free standing, non-epa stove that someone knocked the legs off of and tried to do a "slammer" install with. Thats just a guess at this point. Maybe Craig, or some other well seasoned burners will recognize the stove. I don't.

Thanks for the info so far everyone, good call on checking the back I did find a plate

So it looks like its a Country Flame E-1 or E-2, the little plate on the front just has a few warnings and a serial number of: 33864.

I guess I will try emailing country flame to see if I can get some more info.

Good news is that this looks like it was actually designed as an insert. Get your info all lined up. It looks like you may be able to make this a "proper" install if you wish.

Edit: Hmm...1984, looks like you are gonna be working with a pre-epa stove. Keep that in mind as the costs start adding up. You may want to look into going all the way and get an EPA stove as well. Just a thought.

Is it legal to do a new install of a pre-epa stove?

karri0n said:
Is it legal to do a new install of a pre-epa stove?

I think much of that depends on state or local jurisdiction. Not sure about the OP's area. 'Round me, you can do it.

He is in Maryland. Their Governor O'Malley wouldn't outlaw pre-EPA stoves even if he knew what they were. He would tax them. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.