Advice on old Majestic ZC FP install needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reluctantreno

Mar 11, 2023
IL
I've identified our wood-burning fireplace as a Majestic WM36, installed in the 1980s. As you can see in the pic, it is enclosed in wall-to-wall MDF cabinetry. With strong rain and wind we were getting some water on top of the cabinets. We re-caulked the storm collar on the roof to hopefully end that issue. I also cut out a section of the ceiling to get rid of what was somewhat moldy drywall. The chimney was wrapped with fiberglass insulation and then the flexible plywood (black) in the final pic. I tossed out the insulation as it was dirty, and can now see where the water was entering through the gap between the firestop and chimney. A couple of questions as I contemplate putting this all back together: Can and/or should I seal that gap to prevent further leaks? I'm thinking that would prevent the original issue from reoccurring, but then I might just have water sitting in my ceiling. There are also gaps around the firestop sides. Problem? I'm also wondering if I can/should just leave the chimney exposed rather than re-wrapping with insulation. Finally, we have always had a heck of a time getting a good updraft in this fireplace. Is there anything I should look at in that regard while I've got things exposed? Thanks for any advice.

PXL_20230311_231201613.jpg PXL_20230311_231225467.jpg PXL_20230311_231248961.jpg PXL_20230311_231259040.jpg

The most important thing is to stop the water from entering in the first place. By the time it's reached the firestop, sealing there is just going to allow it to puddle and spread across the ceiling.

Is this insulation wrap approved for the chimney pipe being used?