Advice on older wood stove to existing masonry chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BLG

Oct 1, 2021
Virginia
Hi everyone. I need a little guidance on installing my tiny all nighter woodstove. The building is a smaller 400 square-foot pool house built in the 1950s. It has a masonry chimney. Looks to be in really good condition and hardly used. The chimney is approximately 20 feet high from top to bottom and the stove will be in the basement of the small house. I would love to not have to put a new stainless steel liner in if I can get away with it. The dimensions of the flue looks to be about 8 1/2 inches round in circumference. Here are some photos and advice is greatly appreciated.
IMG_9112.jpeg
IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9113.jpeg IMG_9106.jpeg

Hi everyone. I need a little guidance on installing my tiny all nighter woodstove. The building is a smaller 400 square-foot pool house built in the 1950s. It has a masonry chimney. Looks to be in really good condition and hardly used. The chimney is approximately 20 feet high from top to bottom and the stove will be in the basement of the small house. I would love to not have to put a new stainless steel liner in if I can get away with it. The dimensions of the flue looks to be about 8 1/2 inches round in circumference. Here are some photos and advice is greatly appreciated.View attachment 324500View attachment 324501 View attachment 324503 View attachment 324504
That is an old unlined block chimney you need to line it with an insulated liner

Reactions: FTG-05
I thought so. How was it set up originally. Stove pipe to the concrete foundation wall and thimble? Anything else?
I don't know how it was originally or what was run into the chimney from where. But you will need a proper liner and a proper wall pass through. If it's a solid masonry wall a simple terracotta crock with the stainless run through is fine

I don't know how it was originally or what was run into the chimney from where. But you will need a proper liner and a proper wall pass through. If it's a solid masonry wall a simple terracotta crock with the stainless run through is fine
Yes it is solid concrete with a terracotta liner into the flue. It is about 61/4" in diameter. So black stove pipe to stainless tru the wall and then connected by a T to the liner all the way up? Another question. Should I insulate the liner or not? Thanks

Yes it is solid concrete with a terracotta liner into the flue. It is about 61/4" in diameter. So black stove pipe to stainless tru the wall and then connected by a T to the liner all the way up? Another question. Should I insulate the liner or not? Thanks
Yes you should insulate the liner