advice on pellet insert please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

binna

Dec 1, 2018
NY
hi all -

i want to buy a pellet insert. i have a 1950's 1,600sq' ranch. no insulation in the exterior walls of the southwest side of house (original side/house).

the fireplace seems to be on the small side:

31 wide opening, 23 deep and 30 high. so far the harman accentra 52i is the only one i've seen that fits. the lopi would have to be off set due to its control panel on the right side of the stove.

i'd like to use the stove to heat the house in the winters. i also want to consider having to look at it on the off months so function and form are important.

any feedback about the harman would be helpful. also, any other insert stoves out there for my f.p. dimensions would be helpful, too.

thanks!

hi all -

i want to buy a pellet insert. i have a 1950's 1,600sq' ranch. no insulation in the exterior walls of the southwest side of house (original side/house).

the fireplace seems to be on the small side:

31 wide opening, 23 deep and 30 high. so far the harman accentra 52i is the only one i've seen that fits. the lopi would have to be off set due to its control panel on the right side of the stove.

i'd like to use the stove to heat the house in the winters. i also want to consider having to look at it on the off months so function and form are important.

any feedback about the harman would be helpful. also, any other insert stoves out there for my f.p. dimensions would be helpful, too.

thanks!
Hey binna I own a 52i its about 4 years old now its a very good and reliable choice. I think if you do some research you will find the accentra 52i is is a very good stove with all the features comparing it to other inserts.just keep it clean is all I had to do so far. Now as far as no insulation,you will just have to try the stove and see if it can manage the heat loss,but as for your sqf it should have no problem heating that space. insulation is the best money spent, I would also do some reasearch on the new insulation they have now they are making it much better than the old pink stuff.

thank you! my attic is insulated and i am going to insulate the basement sill plates. i'm in NY.
because of the size of the opening of my fireplace i seem to be a bit limited on stove choices. i have read a lot of complaints about the 52i as far as needing parts/breaking down and the high price for it....so i was asking others about it. still going to make some calls to see if there are other companies that can fit the space. lopi has one but it would be off center so no go on that. again, thanks!

thank you! my attic is insulated and i am going to insulate the basement sill plates. i'm in NY.
because of the size of the opening of my fireplace i seem to be a bit limited on stove choices. i have read a lot of complaints about the 52i as far as needing parts/breaking down and the high price for it....so i was asking others about it. still going to make some calls to see if there are other companies that can fit the space. lopi has one but it would be off center so no go on that. again, thanks!
Hey binna any insulation and sealing up of your home will make a world of difference. Now as far as the 52i having bad reviews I haven't experienced any issues with my stove. You may want to keep in mind that the parts that are put into the accentra are very similar if not exact same as what's in most of the other HARMAN stoves all having a very good track record,if not one of the best.

Go with a freestanding unit and keep the fireplace for aesthetics. You will thank me. Freestanding units have higher BTUs and can hold more pellets. Freestanding is a much better, primary source of heat route.