Advice on small-space / tight clearance stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheFourPines

Jul 20, 2021
Nowthen, MN
Greetings all! We just bought a farmhouse in Minnesota and unfortunately, it doesn't have a fireplace or wood burner. How in the world someone could build a house here and NOT include one, I'll never understand.

Our available space for a wood stove is pretty tight. The chimney will have to exit through the wall with a wall thimble and the correct piping. I've seen that most stoves have a clearance to unprotected combustibles of ~11"-12". Much closer with protected surfaces. I need to be much tighter than 12". I saw a Jotul that had corner clearance of like 3.5" to protected wall. That's much closer to where I need to be.

I have an opportunity to get a gently used Drolet Savanah stove at a great price. This is from the manual:

1626804250847.png
Am i reading it right that using that sheet metal and 1" spacers, I can reduce the 12" clearance by 67% to about 4"?

Based on the stove dimensions, my space, and the reduced clearance table above, does this look like a viable layout/install?
Stove.jpg

What other recommendations for a smaller stove with tight clearances might work here?

Thanks all!

Greetings all! We just bought a farmhouse in Minnesota and unfortunately, it doesn't have a fireplace or wood burner. How in the world someone could build a house here and NOT include one, I'll never understand.

Our available space for a wood stove is pretty tight. The chimney will have to exit through the wall with a wall thimble and the correct piping. I've seen that most stoves have a clearance to unprotected combustibles of ~11"-12". Much closer with protected surfaces. I need to be much tighter than 12". I saw a Jotul that had corner clearance of like 3.5" to protected wall. That's much closer to where I need to be.

I have an opportunity to get a gently used Drolet Savanah stove at a great price. This is from the manual:

View attachment 280389
Am i reading it right that using that sheet metal and 1" spacers, I can reduce the 12" clearance by 67% to about 4"?

Based on the stove dimensions, my space, and the reduced clearance table above, does this look like a viable layout/install?
View attachment 280390

What other recommendations for a smaller stove with tight clearances might work here?

Thanks all!
Where did you get that clearance reduction table from? Is it from the drolet manual?

In that case yes you are correct. But honestly I would never want a stove that close to the wall it is going to make cleaning and maintenance very difficult
Hoping that it won't be that close once we get it in position and can get a real feel for how it sits. I just want to know the absolute minimums and work up from there.

Thanks

Yes, there are (were?) some Quads that had low rear and corner clearances too.