Advice on used log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsox

Dec 11, 2009
nebraska
Hadn't really thought I was ready to buy a splitter yet considering its my first year of burning. I came across a john deere 52 splitter for around 300 bucks, seems like a a good cheap way for me to get into wood processing. My concern is that its only a 12 ton splitter. Not sure if this is underpowered for me doing 2 to 3 cords a year. The guy said he has babied it for 10 years and it has new hoses. Any advice would be great, Im not trying to rush into anything but I don't want to miss out on a good deal.

take a couple rounds that you mostly dealing with and see how it does....If you have a lot of big rounds over 28in. it to small but if your mostly under that should do ok!

I don't own a splitter but back when I had a bunch of wood to split I rented a 13 ton for the local tool rental place.
I had some pretty good size oak and some other tough stringy wood (maybe elm) that you couldn't really split by hand.
The 13t splitter had no problem with anything I put in it.

For $300 I don't think you can go too far wrong, you should always be able to sell it for what you paid.
I say go 4 it.

buy it you can not go wrong at 300

just give it good look over make sure the motor runs well, the pump runs good. no leaks, beam is not bent, rams extends and retracts smoothly, split a few rounds if it all checks out ok the price is decent .

check the welds on the beam too

Splitters are pretty simple to check out . Probably your biggest consumable is the motor . I am half owner in a old 16 ton speeco horizontal . It is on its 3rd motor and this thing has tons of hours on it . When we got it new it was doing about 36 + cord a year . Check the motor out see how it runs and if its blowing smoke run the ram in and out and split a couple of rounds with it , then eye up the I beam if it looks straight . Take a glance at the welds on the wedge . And last check hoses for cracks and also oil leaks by fittings and control and ram . When the splitter is running dead head the ram in both directions this will max out the pressure . There should be no oil leaks and the motor though grunt down a bit should stay running . If all this is good 300 is a decent deal .

Thanks a ton for all the replies. I believe I have bought it. I checked it out yesterday but was in a big hurry with my kids. Today I'm going over there and will check out all the things ya'll said too. I'm pretty stoked to get a splitter for $300. It will save me money in the long run, and it kind of puts me all in. Now I have to get my own wood versus buying. I have all the tools now. Thanks again

Well I bought the splitter and have probably cut about half a cord. I really like it, my body already feels better not swinging the axe :>. My only concern is at the base of the hydraulic cylinder where the ram pushes out its leaking some hydraulic fluid. Enough that after about 2 hours I am planning on adding a bit. I am guessing it just a leaky ring or gasket and that its pretty common place for leakage. Big fix or little fix?

jsox said:
Well I bought the splitter and have probably cut about half a cord. I really like it, my body already feels better not swinging the axe :>. My only concern is at the base of the hydraulic cylinder where the ram pushes out its leaking some hydraulic fluid. Enough that after about 2 hours I am planning on adding a bit. I am guessing it just a leaky ring or gasket and that its pretty common place for leakage. Big fix or little fix?
Fairly simple fix with a new kit. Oh and by the way a splitter for 300 is a great buy.

jsox said:

Slow down first oil can be an optical illusion on how much it really is . try and get some kinda idea how much it actually is leaking first if you can get a dish . pan saucer what ever and catch the fluid leak and see what it is leaking out . My timberwolf leaked from day one but it doesnt leak a cup of fluid in splitting 14 cords a year at first I thought it was running all over but when measured it really wasnt worth worrying about .
If its to the point the oil is pouring out the ram it will need a rebuild . I have never done this and have heard it is fairly simple but you need to look at the shaft to make sure it is smooth that the rod is not scored .

Status
Not open for further replies.