Harm to a Dauntless catalyst?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
So, this year Ive have been experimenting with using the cat during normal daytime burns and lower night time burns. Last year, when I tried this I found that WITHOUT the cat, personally I had more control especially during the day and still had a good clean burn overnight as long as I stayed above 400 STT and set my air for overnight settings to 4th from the lowest. So im giving the cat another try during the days/nights to see the difference between two solid years of burning with basically the same wood. As Im getting into the middle of wood that I was using last year, the middle is about the same MC as last years, all mixed hardwood randomly selected so it's a fairly good comparison while not very scientific.

But then it got me thinking as Im actually paying attention to the cat temps. On cold starts it takes a long time for the probe to reach temp suggesting the cat is firing off. My question though is, for cold starts my manual basically says start a kindling fire of 4lbs wood, let that burn down then add several 2-3 inch pieces and immediately close the bypass to engage the cat. There's NO way the cat is firing off at this point, so Im curious why they are saying this? Possibly to get that chamber up to temp? Will this cause any problems with the cat though by clogging it?

The manual then says, let that burn down for an hour on high with the assumption that consumes all the wood, then pack the stove up tight, and let that burn on high for the entire load. (which would over fire my stove) This startup process is odd to me and not what Ive typically done. Ive always started a kindling fire, then added medium splits and let that burn for a good bit of time (longer than the hour they suggest), before reloading the stove fully and letting that load catch then finally switching over to secondary which, that's about the time the probe says the secondary is ready to fire off the cat.

Which is better for the health of the cat?

Also what about using creosote powders in between cleanings with a cat installed. Im assuming it's best to open the damper but Im sure some of the particles are going to get sucked through the catalyst. Any concerns there?

Last edited:
I'm thinking they mean it eventually would reach the temperature for the cat to ignite. Not nessasarily immediately after the damper is closed. I don't have the Dauntless but it's baby sister. In my Intrepid I often close the the damper when the cat probe is around 400f. It might take a half hour for the cat to ignite but it will once it gets to about 550 or so and will go up from there.

I'm thinking they mean it eventually would reach the temperature for the cat to ignite. Not nessasarily immediately after the damper is closed. I don't have the Dauntless but it's baby sister. In my Intrepid I often close the the damper when the cat probe is around 400f. It might take a half hour for the cat to ignite but it will once it gets to about 550 or so and will go up from there.
yea that's pretty much what Im doing now as well, otherwise it would sit there just below 500 forever it feels. So Im actually doing something I guess between what is recommended and what I was doing prior a bit.
I checked the cat the other day, looks good! Only once have I had the cat temps up to the danger zone for a brief period of time, and I still dont know why. Im usually soaring right dead smack in the lower 1/3 or in the middle

I would not use the creosote powder.

The problem with this stove is that secondary air is keeping the cat cool when the damper is open. 192 degrees after 1/2 hour.

The problem with this stove is that secondary air is keeping the cat cool when the damper is open. 192 degrees after 1/2 hour.
Dauntless owner here. Why don't you close your bypass at that point? The cat temp will rise and pipe temps will drop. I've never seen my cat temps get above 200 on a cold start with the bypass open.

Dauntless owner here. Why don't you close your bypass at that point? The cat temp will rise and pipe temps will drop. I've never seen my cat temps get above 200 on a cold start with the bypass open.
I do close it. Just seems like it's shocking the combustor.

Same here with my Intrepid on the first part but my cat will get to above 400 with the damper open then I close it and the cat will continue to rise past the activaction temp in typically short order. To note I'm using the exact same ceramic cat that's in the Dauntless.

I do not close the damper until I have a full bed of hot coals. It has to cover the holes in the back. Only then does this stove operate properly for me. It takes about 90 minutes of burning before I can close the damper.