Advice selecting Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MrEastCoaster

Jan 13, 2023
trumbull, CT
Looking for your expert opinions and experience in selecting the right insert for North East home. It appears the decision comes down to cost, looks, and proper size. We want to augment our oil heating (w central air) by converting our useless fireplace to heat the home. I have plenty of wood on my land and some dried for 9 months.

The fireplace room is on one side ofthe house, see image. this level is 2230sqft with a vaulted ceiling in one room. Basement will only be heated with oil. One concern is if the small room will get overheated and rest of house won't be heated? Thermostat for Kitchen/Dining/Dining is in the "Dining" room next to the FP.

IMG_4281 (1).jpgIMG_4283 2 (1).jpgScreen Shot 2023-01-14 at 6.13.16 PM.png

Note: I'm aware not supposed to burn on that, it's for holding wood! FP was never used!

Measures indicate can fit a large insert: Height: 28.25, Width: 35" D: 22.5 . If the unit is not flat, will have to put something on the wood floor like a fireplace rug or metal.

Question is what's a good unit recommendation. I the area we have (most expensive to least)
Regency i2701 - 78000 btu's $8300 (no tax credit).
Lopi Large Nexgen-fyre - heats up to 2500sqft. 67000btu. I like the look and big open window. More expensive since doesn't qualify for tax credit. $7200
Regency i2500 - Requires fire rug, heats up to 2200sqft. $5700 (after credit)
Lopi Evergreen - 2000sqft. 70000btu. (odd creates more than the large insert. $4000 (after tax credit)
Montlake 230 - 2200sqft 76000btu. $4045
Quadrafire Expedition - 2000sqft 56000 btu. $5000 (no credit)

I've never had one of these units. My wife likes the house toast. In my view the windows in the room with the FP are older but sealed up, so not too drafty. The house is a little drafty.

Are these good options? Is there a better option?

Compromising on floor protection wil give you many options. Check out Pacific Energy, Osborn (and Drolet if you want to see the best Btu/$ insert).

It may sound obvious, but make sure that the insert has an ash lip as part of the stove. The Jotul insert i bought 10 yrs ago doesn’t have one and its a royal pain in the ass.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I'm not knowledgeable on the best stoves, but I have a solution if you're worried about one room heating too much. Use a bracket-mounted "Minute Man" fan. Maybe even two in your situation—one at each door of your "small room." The difference is surprising. Without the Minute Man, our living room (on one end of the house with one entrance) will be upwards of 90 degrees. With it, the living room stays in the high 70s, and the rest of the main floor warms up quickly.

Reactions: MrEastCoaster
Welcome!

I grew up in Huntington. My brother and sister went to St. Joe's.

I am in MA. Just have a little Lopi Answer. Great for my needs.

Reactions: MrEastCoaster
The Lopi Evergreen is a good choice from those listed. What is the width of the fireplace at the rear?

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I like it because it's well-made and simple. That keeps the cost of ownership down over time and makes maintenance easy.

I've seen it burning at an HPBA show. It puts out good heat and is nicely made.

I've seen it burning at an HPBA show. It puts out good heat and is nicely made.

That this?

If you're going to Louisville and haven't done it, the Louisville Slugger factory tour was really neat. I used to go to Louisville a lot in the 1990s and did the factory tour. They have opened a site downtown now, so I don't know if they have factory tours now. It was actually walking the factory floor in a small group. Always wondered why insurance let that happen :) , but it was really neat!

Edit. Looks like it is a recreation of the factory tour now like I thought. Bummer. The real factory tour out at the plant away from downtown was really cool.

That this?
That is this year's show. I won't be going. Most of the show looks like it's going to be gas and BBQ related. The wood-burning part seems to get smaller each year. I don't see Jotul or HHT showing on the exhibitor list.

Factory tours can be great. I took the Travis factory tour several years ago and it was very well done. I learned a lot about stove production and saw some surprising stuff. Both Lopi and FPX production occurs there.
Another amazing tour was the Boeing factory tour. The scope and scale were mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulOinMA
24 inches in back. Good to hear, other than having to have protection on the floor I favor that one for cost. Any particular reasons why you like?
Hi there, I saw your thread and am in a similar area and size house wondering What did you get? I haven’t heard much on Montlake 230 aside from fireplace store so was curious when you mentioned it. Also looking at regency 2450/2500.
Thanks!

Hi there, I saw your thread and am in a similar area and size house wondering What did you get? I haven’t heard much on Montlake 230 aside from fireplace store so was curious when you mentioned it. Also looking at regency 2450/2500.
Thanks!
Hi. Given the warm year, we deferred until mid year or next year to reconsider. I saw the Large Lopi Evergreen and I like the big viewing area and simplicity, but pricy for us. I was favoring the Montlake for the sales/install preference and seemed a tossup on the unit itself. So...tbd...

I was also budgeting for a house humidifier since they dry out the air, and some fans to move the air around...those are cheap. It's a few hundred for all that.

Good luck in your decision!

Hi. Given the warm year, we deferred until mid year or next year to reconsider. I saw the Large Lopi Evergreen and I like the big viewing area and simplicity, but pricy for us. I was favoring the Montlake for the sales/install preference and seemed a tossup on the unit itself. So...tbd...

I was also budgeting for a house humidifier since they dry out the air, and some fans to move the air around...those are cheap. It's a few hundred for all that.

Good luck in your decision!
Ok great I’ll check that model out as well. Personally leaning non cat for ease or use. I hear you on mild weather and postponing purchase. I wanna have it ready for October without having to deal with any surge in buying as we come close to burning season again. Appreciate you he response!