Advice sought on wood supply for Hearthstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrfalcon

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2007
Champlain Valley, Vermont
I'm upgrading from a tiny Tribute to a nice medium-sized Homestead and thinking about wood supply for next winter.

What's the split length that works best for this stove? Hearthstone says it takes up to 21-inch splits, but then they say the Tribute takes 16-inchers, which it sort of does, but only one or two small ones before you run out of room to get them in through the front door. So 14 I've found is what I need to have to get in a full load.

So I'm curious about what the longest thing you can get into the stove, and then what's the length that works best for you over the course of the winter?

The inside door frame is 18" wide and depth of firebox is 12" on my homestead.
Thanks. I won't have the stove until mid-summer, and I forgot to take those measurements before I left the store, which is around 50 miles from here.

What length do you cut your firewood (or have it cut)? I can get 16-inch the cheapest, but it seems like a waste of stove capacity. Does 18-19 work the best? Can you get a couple of 20-inchers in?

Yeah you can fit the 20's in with a little work, I have found that 16" load easier without wiggling and burning my hands or gloves, and have tried the 12" a loading N/S to work also equally as well. Problely similar to the Tribute with get the big ones in first on the bottom and then place the smaller in on top. And burn time/heat time doesn't seem to change much between the e/w and n/s loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.