Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sw18x

Mar 28, 2017
Western NY
I have a 1730 square foot ranch built into a hillside. The "first" floor is finished, the "basement" is not. The basement is a walkout, we are currently finishing off part of it for living space. As you walk into the basement, the finished area will consist of an entryway / mud room area with large walk-in coat closet, a family room, and a rec room / guest bed area. All of these areas will be connected together with an open floor plan (no doors), except the coat closet.

The finished area for the rec room and family room is only about 600 square feet, divided roughly in half by a staircase upstairs. The entry way / mud room is probably another 100 square feet, coat closet 200 but there is a door there that will restrict airflow. Pocket doors separate this finished area from the rest of the unfinished basement.

Its a 2003 build, exterior walls in finished area of basement are spray foamed as are all of the 'pockets' in the basement between cinder blocks and house. The house is pretty well insulated.

We currently heat the upstairs with a Quadrafire that came with the house. It provides plenty of heat up there, and I want to continue to burn fires upstairs where we will spend the majority of our time. There was already a woodstove downstairs when we moved in, the baffles were junk and the stove was a big clunker so we yanked it out. I want to install a new woodburner downstairs that will heat the finished area, but don't want to push so many btus upstairs that we can't have fires up there too. Another concern is having heat on demand downstairs. In other words, if we want to wander downstairs, I don't want to have to plan ahead (for example, to fire up a non-cat soapstone and wait 40 minutes before the chill is gone). I'd like to run a small fire downstairs consistently, so it's warm whenever we choose to use that level.

From my research, it seems like a cat stove with long, low burns might be the answer. However, having no experience with cat stoves, I don't know how low I can burn. I'm thinking BK Ashford 20, or Woodstock Fireview, burning long and low in the basement might be the answer. But realistically, are these stoves flexible enough that I can run them on a low enough burn that I'm not heating myself out of the upstairs? The Quadrafire puts out A LOT of heat (probably oversized for the upstairs already). I can picture myself waking up, starting a fire upstairs to get us warm, starting a fire downstairs, then 2 hours later be popping open windows. I'm also not used to running anything low, I always burn hot to keep the chimney clean.

Alternately, I could get a small cast iron non-cat for the basement that will fire up quick on demand (a Jotul F100 for example). That was my original plan, until I researched the cat stoves. In the long run, I think the answer is the a cat stove downstairs and replace the Quadrafire upstairs with a smaller non-cat just to supplement. But I can only buy one stove this year. Advice would be appreciated. I included a pdf attachment with detailed floor plans of the basement level.

Thanks.

Attachments

• floor plan basement.pdf
    396.3 KB · Views: 134
I wouldn't go with a small stove. Go for around 2 cu ft in a non-cat. Uninsulated basements suck the heat right out through the walls. Up to a third of the heat produced will probably be lost, so don't be afraid of going a bit larger, especially if you go with a cat stove. In non-cat, the Pacific Energy Super 27 has a good long burn time. In cat, the Fireview has a good reputation and is a time proven stove. It should do the job well. So would the Blaze King. You can even go up to the BK Ashford or Sirocco 30 without worry of overheating. These stoves will sustain a long low burn as long as draft is sufficient.

The exterior walls on the finished side of the basement are all insulated (sprayfoam), so the real question for me is how much heat from the stove will stay in the finished side of the basement and how much will leach out to the rest of the basement. If the finished side holds most of the heat, that's my concern with overheating the space. If anyone else has a split basement (finished/unfinished) I would like to hear how that works out for you.

We have a 2,500 sq. ft. ranch built into a hillside as you put it. The walk-out basement has a large rec. room where my kids spend a lot of time, and that's where our stove insert is (no stove upstairs). The room is about 400 sq. Feet. We could overheat it pretty easily if we tried, but we build smaller fires if we don't need the heat, or we turn down the blower. It has worked for us, but we are in the process of making plans to change over to a Blaze King Princess Insert this summer. This time of year is hard for us because our upper story gains heat from the sun, and our natural gas furnace doesn't heat the finished basement well at all. So when the main story is fine, the basement is chilly, and we like the option of maintaining a low slow burn for those times.

Our basement does have an unfinished storage/work room and a somewhat finished but uninsulated laundry and utility room. They are separated from the stove fairly well, and while I'm sure they take some of the heat, it has never been a problem for us to have sufficient heat downstairs. Our house is well air sealed in addition to the insulation improvements we've made. We bought the insert just to convert the fireplace to something efficient and to warm the basement and had no plans to heat the whole house. We changed our minds over the next couple of years as we found we could heat quite successfully.

Sorry, cellphone read did not show the floorplan and I missed the difference between insulated and uninsulated. It looks like little heat will go to the unfinished area with the pocket doors closed, though that could be a heat relief if the area got too hot. The question appears to be how much heat will convect up the stairwell so that the basement area doesn't overheat. Now that I can see the plan, the BK Ashford 20 or 30 or the Woodstock Keystone or Fireview should work for this area. If you want quick heat from a small stove and like the Jotul then I would also look at the F3CB. It takes a larger piece of wood.

I think the BK Ashford 30 would be a good fit for your setup. You can run it slow and low and get long burn times without overheating your basement.