Affordable 6" chimney choice???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mjstef

Oct 4, 2009
Northwoods of Wisconsin
For the Monaco Flame these are my chimney choices. Can anyone give me input on an affordable option of any of these? I need 20' of total length, The appliance adapter, Cap, Top band and 2 standoffs......

Manufacturer: Selkirk
Brand: Ultra-Temp (UT)
Type: 1" Solid Pack
Brand: Super Pro (SPR)
Brand: Super Vent (JSC)
Brand: Hart & Cooley (TLC)
Brand: Sure-Temp (ST)
Brand: CF Sentinel (CF)
Type: 2" Solid Pack
Brand: Super Pro 2100 (ALT)
Brand: Super Vent 2100 (JM)
Brand: UltimateOne
Manufacturer: Security Chimney
Brand: ASHT+
Manufacturer: Security Chimney
Brand: S-2100
Manufacturer: Simpson Dura Vent
Brand: Dura Tech
Brand: Dura Plus HTC
Brand: Dura Plus
Type: AC Triple Wall
Manufacturer: ICC
Brand: Excel 2100
Manufacturer: Metal Fab
Brand: Temp Guard
Manufacturer: American Metal
Brand: HSS
Manufacturer: American Metal
Brand: HS
Manufacturer: Olympia Chimney
Brand: Ventis
Manufacturer: FMI (U.S.A. only)
Brand: AC

Best deal i have found so far is METAL-FAB 6TGG36 6" TEMP/GUARD 2100 CHIMNEY 36" LENGTH for $100 each.
You dont simply want to get the cheapest you can find. Get a reputable brand that has been around for a while. That way if you need replacements down the road there is a better chance they will still be around to get them. Also get double wall not triple wall. Triple wall is cheaper because it has much less insulation. Go with double wall solid pack. And i would make sure it has either 304 or 316 inner liner.

Agreed. The chimney is infrastructure. Get something decent. Also, look for the chimney type that doesn't need an adapter or anchor plate. That will save some cost. This site has some good pricing on Selkirk, Security and DuraTech. If the chimney is going to be in a chase then a galvalume exterior finish is ok. Just get stainless for the last section that is exposed to the weather.
https://woodstovepro.com/chimney-pipe-venting-pipe/wood-all-fuel-piping/6-inch/

Some of this stu
Agreed. The chimney is infrastructure. Get something decent. Also, look for the chimney type that doesn't need an adapter or anchor plate. That will save some cost. This site has some good pricing on Selkirk, Security and DuraTech. If the chimney is going to be in a chase then a galvalume exterior finish is ok. Just get stainless for the last section that is exposed to the weather.
https://woodstovepro.com/chimney-pipe-venting-pipe/wood-all-fuel-piping/6-inch/
ff i could have $2,500- $3,000 into the chimney. I need 20 feet of it. Going into winter is not the best time for me to be dumping cash. If it don't snow i don't make $$$$$$$. That said, 2" or 3" solid pack??

Some of this stu

ff i could have $2,500- $3,000 into the chimney. I need 20 feet of it. Going into winter is not the best time for me to be dumping cash. If it don't snow i don't make $$$$$$$. That said, 2" or 3" solid pack??
Yes but if you buy something that wont hold up or wont perform well you will be spenfing more to replace it later. There is no 3" but 1" is the standard for all higher end chimney. And that is all we ever use

I see no way you could beat the price of Selkirk Super vent. It’s sold at big box stores (Lowe’s/menards. It’s double wall, good quality, been around a while and not going away anytime soon.

Selkirk super-vent will beat anyone’s price I think. Decent stuff too.
It’s not a brand we install either, but I’m very familiar with it, pretty good stuff. Low cost, decent quality, good warranty. Owned by Hart&cooley

It’s not a brand we install either, but I’m very familiar with it, pretty good stuff. Low cost, decent quality, good warranty. Owned by Hart&cooley
I agree i just cant stand those damn locking bands

Ditto- between my old place and new I've installed 5 Selkirk Supervent chimneys. Near as I can tell they will outlast me and I don't think I spent more than $7-800 on the tallest. It all came from Menards. It's stainless in and out, 1" solid pack insulation. I've installed it straight up through the roof, through a sidewall into an insulated chase, and a couple through sidewall and up exposed. They all perform well.

Reactions: brenndatomu
So the Supervent (Menards & Lowes) and the Suretemp are basically the same correct? I installed a Supervent about 15 years ago and screwed the joints instead of using the locking rings. HVAC guy told me screws wouldn't let it twist loose.

So the Supervent (Menards & Lowes) and the Suretemp are basically the same correct? I installed a Supervent about 15 years ago and screwed the joints instead of using the locking rings. HVAC guy told me screws wouldn't let it twist loose.
Well, the screws aren’t the correct way of doing it. Super-vent sells them separately, don’t know about sure-temp. TLC/Hart&Cooley include bands with each piece of pipe. One other small advantage of other higher end brands is they offer 48” pieces.

Reactions: mjstef
I agree i just cant stand those damn locking bands
At least they have a captured nut built into the band! It took forever for Dura-vent to figure that out! I’ve spent lots of time on a roof with numb hands fidgeting around with nuts and bolts...

I would not drill the Supervent and use screws. The locking bands seem to work OK for me, my only recommendation is if there is a section you will anticipate taking back apart, use some anti seize on the screw of the locking band to facilitate easier removal later on. I've never had one twist loose on me. Now you do use screws on the Supervent black double wall connector pipe, but not on the shiny class A stuff.

At least they have a captured nut built into the band! It took forever for Dura-vent to figure that out! I’ve spent lots of time on a roof with numb hands fidgeting around with nuts and bolts...
I find all of the locking bands a pita. Why not just screw them together like ventis and excell

I would not drill the Supervent and use screws. The locking bands seem to work OK for me, my only recommendation is if there is a section you will anticipate taking back apart, use some anti seize on the screw of the locking band to facilitate easier removal later on. I've never had one twist loose on me. Now you do use screws on the Supervent black double wall connector pipe, but not on the shiny class A stuff.
I have had selkirk and duravent come apart asdhen cleaning multiple times

Well, the screws aren’t the correct way of doing it. Super-vent sells them separately, don’t know about sure-temp. TLC/Hart&Cooley include bands with each piece of pipe. One other small advantage of other higher end brands is they offer 48” pieces.

The Selkirk Sure temp i posted above was a 48" for $120 shipped.....

Only if the bands were not used, or installed correctly.
I always use screws in the offsets, and if it’s in a chase set up. I don’t want that stuff unlocking for anyone!

Only if the bands were not used, or installed correctly.
I always use screws in the offsets, and if it’s in a chase set up. I don’t want that stuff unlocking for anyone!
Most had bands on the duravent ones lock much better. The selkirk ones really dont lock very well

Really? even when twist locked and band installed properly? Something I'll have to look out for I guess. I usually have the opposite problem, getting them back apart after they've been in use for a while- of course there is usually no reason to take apart.