After Irene

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fabsroman said:
Stump_Branch said:
Im in the great vast middle of nowhere carroll county. As i write this, on a cell phone, still no power. some areas have others dont, and i sure dont see alot of crews out aroud here, so we must be low on the list. No worries neighbor let me plug my fridge into his genset, i gather jugs of water to flush the toilets. Parents have city water so showers are 20 mins away. Could be worse, i could be scrounging a tree off the house.

I went to Home Depot in Eldersburg (i.e., Carroll County) yesterday morning to buy some extension cords and a couple other things I needed. I really prefer that one over the one in Ellicott City. They hauled two pallets of generators out and put them at the front of the store. They were all gone by the time I left. I had everything hooked up. Had the 220 from the generator hard wired into the well pump at the breaker box and had extensions going everywhere I needed them. Had my office computer up and running and was about to start cranking out billable hours, and then the power came on. It was about 7:00 last night. Took me another 2+ hours to get the compressor shut down and back to its original state, to disconnect all the cords and wrap them back up, and to plug everything back into the house. That was a good 2+ hours spent though compared to not having electricity.

I am going to buy one heck of a generator and a transfer switch or two after this ordeal. I never had to worry about this stuff at the townhouse and within 6 months of living at the new place I have this issue. Much easier just to plug in generator and start it versus all these extension cords and hard wiring stuff in.

You get power back yet?

No power still, estimated thursday... yeah that HD is lacking. Its about a mile from the parents house, were i grew up. Im up in new windsor area now.

Have you ever tried clarks ace hardware of 40, nice place, lots of stoves acc, chainsaws and the like.

Stump_Branch said:
Have you ever tried clarks ace hardware of 40, nice place, lots of stoves acc, chainsaws and the like.

That stores so nice I drove 300 miles to buy my stove from them haha

Not to mention the have a Hearth.com account

I also am still out of power. They are predicting Sun - Mon for my power to come back on. I do still have the generator I borrowed that is powering most things when on, I need to be around to keep it running, it has a 8 HP motor and a 1 gallon gas tank. Lots of good wood all over the place here for anyone looking to scrounge.

Stump_Branch said:
fabsroman said:
Stump_Branch said:
Im in the great vast middle of nowhere carroll county. As i write this, on a cell phone, still no power. some areas have others dont, and i sure dont see alot of crews out aroud here, so we must be low on the list. No worries neighbor let me plug my fridge into his genset, i gather jugs of water to flush the toilets. Parents have city water so showers are 20 mins away. Could be worse, i could be scrounging a tree off the house.

I went to Home Depot in Eldersburg (i.e., Carroll County) yesterday morning to buy some extension cords and a couple other things I needed. I really prefer that one over the one in Ellicott City. They hauled two pallets of generators out and put them at the front of the store. They were all gone by the time I left. I had everything hooked up. Had the 220 from the generator hard wired into the well pump at the breaker box and had extensions going everywhere I needed them. Had my office computer up and running and was about to start cranking out billable hours, and then the power came on. It was about 7:00 last night. Took me another 2+ hours to get the compressor shut down and back to its original state, to disconnect all the cords and wrap them back up, and to plug everything back into the house. That was a good 2+ hours spent though compared to not having electricity.

I am going to buy one heck of a generator and a transfer switch or two after this ordeal. I never had to worry about this stuff at the townhouse and within 6 months of living at the new place I have this issue. Much easier just to plug in generator and start it versus all these extension cords and hard wiring stuff in.

You get power back yet?

No power still, estimated thursday... yeah that HD is lacking. Its about a mile from the parents house, were i grew up. Im up in new windsor area now.

Well, I hope you get power by tomorrow. BG&E's estimate for us wasn't very good to begin with, but I hope they have it right for you.

If you think the Eldersburg Home Depot is lacking, you should check out the one in Ellicott City or the other one on route 40 right by the Beltway in Catonsville. I hate going to those two. I grew up in Silver Spring and the Home Depot down there sucks too. My parents come with me to the one in Eldersburg sometimes and they think it is wonderful.

LOL about Clark's Ace Hardware. I was just there last night looking for some wood screws and ended up buying the screws, a chainsaw case for my MS261, and oggling over a bunch of other Stihl products and looking at some cant hooks. I had been to that Hardware store before looking for some pottassium permangenate (don't ask me what for), and spent over an hour in it a year or two ago before we had even moved to this area. Never knew how large of a Stihl inventory they had until last night. They pretty much had every chain saw in stock except for the MS 660. They even had the entire Kombi system on display and piece after piece hanging from the ceiling. They had the Stihl protective gear there too. Good thing my wife was with me to put the reins on me or the credit card would have been on fire. LOL The one thing I forgot to check out was whether they had a moisture meter.

I bought my JD zero turn mower and Stihl saws from Finch Services in Eldersburg by route 97 and 26. I really like the service I have received there versus the service I received at Gladhill in Damascus when I was looking for a zero turn mower. Only problem with Finch in Eldersburg is that they don't keep much inventory on hand. Most of their stuff is at the Westminster store, but the salesman I deal with is the nicest guy in the world, he gets me the stuff I want within a day or two, and he gives me decent prices on the stuff. We'll see what happens when I am in the market for a tractor. I know Gladhill has a huge inventory at its store off of 340 in the Frederick area.

If you need anything to help get you buy till Thursday, let me know and I will see what I can do. Same offer for non hurricane issues. If you happen to be unlucky this year and need venison, just let me know. The deer are pretty thick down here. Haven't been hunting them much lately because I don't know who to give all the meat too.

Thanks for the offer, we just got power back last night. I never found the eldersburg finch to be great, yes lack of inventory and they always appear to be closed. The one in westminster is a large one, but hanover is the main hub.

The only reason i really hunt is for meat, its why i started and why i continue. Ive known of your areas deer population, never could find a spot down there to try however. We process all of our own, used to have access to a box, now our small group of dad, my buddy and his dad are trying to find one. Hopefully we luck out here soon only 15 days away. You have a good strech of land down there?

Stump_Branch said:
Thanks for the offer, we just got power back last night. I never found the eldersburg finch to be great, yes lack of inventory and they always appear to be closed. The one in westminster is a large one, but hanover is the main hub.

The only reason i really hunt is for meat, its why i started and why i continue. Ive known of your areas deer population, never could find a spot down there to try however. We process all of our own, used to have access to a box, now our small group of dad, my buddy and his dad are trying to find one. Hopefully we luck out here soon only 15 days away. You have a good strech of land down there?

Yeah, the 9-5 M-F and 9-noon on Saturday at Finch in Eldersburg is a little tough. I have no idea how anybody with a 9-5 job can get to the store except on Saturday morning, and the lines on Saturday morning are supposedly insane. I am lucky in that I work for myself and can go up there in the middle of the day when work is slow. Just looked at their website and the hours in Hanover aren't much better. Might take a ride up there one day to look at the 4000 series tractors though.

I have hunted on a 120 acre farm over here since 1985. Killed some deer there, but mostly hunt doves and waterfowl on it. I stopped deer hunting over there when I had the scope on a moving "bush" during muzzleloader season and eventually figured out it was a moron 100 yards away in a ghillie suit poaching deer. That, and then seeing blaze orange every 50 yards during gun season was enough to turn me off to deer hunting over there. Supposedly, they now have the issue under control and have a single person in charge of it, so I might try it again, but who knows.

I also have access to a 180 acre and 40 acre farm in Boonsboro in Washington County. I've been hunting those farms in Washington County since 1993 and have killed most of my deer over there. Killed 3 one afternoon and decided to stop shooting before I spent the rest of the night dragging them out. Had access to Seneca Park in Montgomery County for several years and killed 8 one morning before 10:00 and spent the rest of the entire day dragging them out. The older guy I was hunting with wanted me to keep killing them. Ended up taking all of them up to Frederick for the feed the hungry program. What was supposed to be a morning hunt turned out to be an entire day/evening. I didn't get home until well after dark and I was exhausted.

I don't do much bow hunting anymore. I just don't have the time to practice or the time to get out in the woods now that I am married and have a couple of kids.

Glad nobody got hurt during Irene. We lost power sunday morning and just now got it back about an hour ago, total of about 80 hours. Not complaining since we didn't lose water, didn't get water in the basement, and no trees on the house or cars. Here's a few pictures, the first is the wood I've cut so far from trees in the back yard and the neighbors yard, the second is two trees which I may just leave for now, they are scary and I don't know how I'd get either one to come down. Any ideas??
IMG_20110831_144145.jpg

IMG_20110830_105420.jpg

IMG_20110830_105402.jpg

*update*
3 truck loads of red oak today, had to run my saw for the first time today.

best part of this scrounge was it was only 3 blocks away!

Irene has been a scrounging "windfall" - loaded up the company car with load of bucked up wood from tree that fell on buddies electric line - amazing how much a Chevy Impala can hold! Driving by a house the next town over today and saw nice pile cut up near road - I called and woman said they had friend lined up to pick up so I said no problem and sorry to bother you.............her husband called my 5 minutes later and said his buddy has too much free firewood so come on over - that is tomorrow's stop after dropping kid at football practice - out of power from last Sunday until Wednesday PM but great weather after Irene and thankfully gas hot water heater - I have a hunch Katia heading to New England/NY next!

Status
Not open for further replies.