After last winter who is going into Ultra-Pig mode this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has the biggest stash?of pellets that is

I have 6 1/2 but there are people on here who have more than 10.

He who dies with the most pellets, wins.

I have six but that's way more than I need was dumbfounded to see others with so much

We lose power at least once every Winter for at least a day and often more and Summer for a day. I buy 30 gallons of gas in October every year and then in Spring rotate it into the cars and yard gear and get ten fresh gallons for the Summer "whoops". Rinse and repeat every year.
Yup good plan. I keep 20 gallons of stabilized gas in the boat's tank all winter (prevents condensation) which also serves as an emergency supply. Easy enough to pump it out with a hand pump. Even with stabilizer though, by Spring its a little questionable. Gas ain't what it used to be.

I guess that's the cool thing about pellets if u got the storage u can go crazy and worry not

Reactions: BrotherBart
It never fails, by the time I rotate it and burn it the price has come down fifty cents a gallon. Need to shift my stock up month. :confused:

Since MN went to adding booze to gas, keeping it around more than a month is not all that wise. Rotate it to the Jeep as it sucks fuel hard.

14 tons +2 bags + a partial hopper full, enough for 2 full seasons plus most of a third (one hopes).
I feel so inferior now...or like I need to go spend money. Not sure I have anymore room unless I stack in creative ways...like shaping stacks of pellet bags into furniture all around the house.

I got myself 5 tons of LaCretes but will pick up some shoulder pellets from Lowes or Home Depot if I see them. I think the right course of action is to get as many pellets as you can hold. The place near me pelletsdirect.com is known for having plenty of pellets and plenty of brands but as of today they are out of stock on ALL their pellets, 2 weeks ago they had plenty to sell. The site says they will have more in a couple of weeks. I was in Home Depot the other day and while I was there I was going to grab 10 bags of pellets, HD was out of pellets.
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this year... I have no interest in paying $7.00 a bag again.

I feel so inferior now...or like I need to go spend money. Not sure I have anymore room unless I stack in creative ways...like shaping stacks of pellet bags into furniture all around the house.

I can and have had more in the stash but I was doing some work and really didn't feel like making my stacks all 15 layers. I bought pellets for the first time since 2011 this August. When stacked to 15 layers and in all space I can use I stash a trailer load.

I can and have had more in the stash but I was doing some work and really didn't feel like making my stacks all 15 layers. I bought pellets for the first time since 2011 this August. When stacked to 15 layers and in all space I can use I stash a trailer load.
Very nice!

It never fails, by the time I rotate it and burn it the price has come down fifty cents a gallon. Need to shift my stock up month. :confused:
Good idea. I just ran out my awn mower for the season and used a gallon of almost top old gas to break in my new generator. Now I have empty cans and haven't been sure how to keep a source of as for when the power inevitable fails. Just rotate a can out into the car every month! Fresh gas AND I will have some on hand at all times! :)

Pellet Tetris.

Reactions: AddictiveStew
Don't know how piggish I should be in southern NH (Exeter area) This is my first season with my new Enviro M55 insert... ... I pre-ordered 4 tons of Cubex for my 18 year old 26x36 2 story colonial with a 16x26 addition off of the first floor and a finished attic. Reading these posts, I am thinking that I did not order enough! Any suggestions from others in this area? Should I get a few more tons to last me through the spring drought??? THANKS for your experienced suggestions.

Rick, I'm in Laconia and use the pellet stove as my sole heat source in my roughly 1600ft3 house (ranch style, built in the early 60's, newer windows, doors, etc...). I typically burn around 3 tons, but last year was roughly 4 tons. Just to be safe I upped my stash by an extra ton and may add a bit more. I'd rather store some leftovers for next year then run out!
So you may want to add another your first year until you know for sure what you need. Worst case is you have a jump start to next years supply if you don't need them all.

Reactions: RickNH
Don't know how piggish I should be in southern NH (Exeter area) This is my first season with my new Enviro M55 insert... ... I pre-ordered 4 tons of Cubex for my 18 year old 26x36 2 story colonial with a 16x26 addition off of the first floor and a finished attic. Reading these posts, I am thinking that I did not order enough! Any suggestions from others in this area? Should I get a few more tons to last me through the spring drought??? THANKS for your experienced suggestions.

Without knowing the how your house is laid how good your insulation is etc, it's impossible to know for sure. My house is 2400sqft but I'm only heating 1600sqft of it and I use 3 1/2 tons over a typical winter. My best guess is that you will probably be cutting it close with 4 tons. I would pick up at least another ton to give you a bit of a buffer. Pellets don't go bad unless they get wet so you can roll any extra over to next year.

Last edited:

You might be onto something here, like the old bean bag chairs. Pellet bag chair, pellet bag couch, stove gets low you reach in and grab some pellets from your chair, lol.

You might be onto something here, like the old bean bag chairs. Pellet bag chair, pellet bag couch, stove gets low you reach in and grab some pellets from your chair, lol.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, and as the winter wears on, there's just less places to sit.

Rick, is this your first season ever heating with pellets? I don't know what you paid for the Cubex but you can get MWP from Benson's Lumber in Londonderry for $250/ton with a flat rate $10 shipping charge. Not sure if they deliver to your area but you can call and see.

image.jpg Set for the winter , 6 tons of Barefoot ::-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 135
I got myself 5 tons of LaCretes but will pick up some shoulder pellets from Lowes or Home Depot if I see them. I think the right course of action is to get as many pellets as you can hold. The place near me pelletsdirect.com is known for having plenty of pellets and plenty of brands but as of today they are out of stock on ALL their pellets, 2 weeks ago they had plenty to sell. The site says they will have more in a couple of weeks. I was in Home Depot the other day and while I was there I was going to grab 10 bags of pellets, HD was out of pellets.
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this year... I have no interest in paying $7.00 a bag again.
I used 3 tons for 2,300 sq. ft. last winter BUT that was starting at the very end of December, so I'm anticipating 4 tons this season. I would guess 5 tons should be a minimum for you NH and with 6 tons, you'll be more than comfortable! As always, my suggestion is always to buy the better pellets if you have the few extra bucks - a happy stove = a happy you!

Status
Not open for further replies.