ah wrong grout color Is there a "hack"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
finally Hubby got the laundy room tile down n grout. It not the color I want tile I mean but can live w it....
like mention before need to use what we have mostly.
well anyway he borrows neighbor grout bag. It was kind of "white" called Frost. It looks white down by the earth tone looking porch tile.
Next day I was down in the the( too much stuff need to downsize) basement.. Looked down and saw a bag of "grout" I prob thought oh Just "ardex" but picked it up. ... a bag of GROUT... I thought we didn't have anymore... It was the proper "bone look color" RAH. !!!! It was leftover bag from what a guy who did work for us had leftover. after he tiled kitchen backsplash etc.
So bought one sealer16 oz. last nite from local NEW hdwe.store So what we do ???.. Is there a "hacK" ? to change color from white to "bone look". ??? yeah no about commercial product "color refresher" etc by Mapeia,,,,
But we would have to drive 50 to 100 miles to find some at LOwes etc." Article says to wait 30 days for new grout...to recolor
Hubby thought about mixing up "slurry.: and putting it overNEW "white" grout done last week I said prob wouldn't stick in the grout that done and set...
I wanna get it done. all the extra stuff from the room is blocking the kitchen and counters ,,, get the dry vanity/ ss sink in..... after almost 30 yrs.of just plywood floor in laundry room...

Very similar story here. Wife and I picked out tile. I laid the tile, she approved the work. Next day, she left the house. While she was gone, I grouted with what she had picked out...I thought it was a strange color, but hey, she's the designer, I'm just the tile guy! She returned home, and shrieked. Turns out, it's more common than you would think. They sell grout stain kits, and she spent the better part of an afternoon with an artist brush and some cushions on a fairly small bathroom floor. We bought the kit at some fancy tile emporium, but I'm sure you could get it mail ordered. We didn't install sealer until after the stain, as that's what the sealer is for - to prevent stains.

Very similar story here. Wife and I picked out tile. I laid the tile, she approved the work. Next day, she left the house. While she was gone, I grouted with what she had picked out...I thought it was a strange color, but hey, she's the designer, I'm just the tile guy! She returned home, and shrieked. Turns out, it's more common than you would think. They sell grout stain kits, and she spent the better part of an afternoon with an artist brush and some cushions on a fairly small bathroom floor. We bought the kit at some fancy tile emporium, but I'm sure you could get it mail ordered. We didn't install sealer until after the stain, as that's what the sealer is for - to prevent stains.
thanks somewhat similar but I was here.. I did not know we even had the grout.. as this place is so disorganized. He had gotten the partial leftover bag of "white" from guy up the road who wasn't home but gave us permission to use some stuff.
The closest store is like 14 mile one way over treacherous county backroad(to me anyway) and this one horse town closes down at 4 or 5 pm and lots weekends.. LOL
But the grout joints feel SANDY.. are they supposedly to feel sandy? not smooth.? I knew I had some "sand" color grout but it was from 1995 and lumpy... yeah mail order would take days and this mess in the kitchen(whole house) really is crappy looking and dangerous to walk around at nite.
1986 long time ago...and bathroom still has plywood floor. Life is an adventure need to simplify getting buried my too much stuff...Thanks y'all

You can buy sanded grout, usually for wider joints. Or nonsanded smooth grout for tighter joints.

The sanded grout is definitely rough to the touch.