air adjust vs fuel used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Does anyone else need to adjust air according to the amount of fuel left in the fire box?

NOPE Once it chared I set it and forget it. Only before a reload I will open the bypass door and bust up the remaining coals, move them to the front and let them glow for a bit with the door open a crack. Then stuff it to the gills and repeat.
The only thing that influences my stove settings is my outdoor temps. If the temps drop more than 10degs outside then I will bump the T-stat up a setting to offset the heat loss.
N of 60

north of 60 said:
NOPE Once it chared I set it and forget it. Only before a reload I will open the bypass door and bust up the remaining coals, move them to the front and let them glow for a bit with the door open a crack. Then stuff it to the gills and repeat.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

-SF

maybe it is just my antsieness if i can make up that word

oilstinks said:
maybe it is just my antsieness if i can make up that word

We have all been there oilstinks. Thats also a good word in my books. ;-)

During the cold of the winter, we do open the draft some as the stove begins to cool. For example, it it has been running at 500 degrees and drops to 450, we open the draft just a tad. Down to 400, we open it quite a bit. Down to 350 and we're putting wood in it. However, that is only during the cold winter. This time of the year, no. Just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.