Air Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralBill

Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2009
Western OR
I saw it was getting cold tonight here in W. OR 32F (I know, I know...) so I let the house chill today and started up the Summit. It takes a while to get going. So on a lame start, I added kindling and a small split up top and burned a bit more newspaper. Later I noticed three things:

1. Cedar really is a good starter (had some leftover decking in the kindling bin)
2. I guess wood swells up as it gets burning. The added kindling at top didn't touch the top at first. When I went back, it was pushed up against the ceiling.
3. The "air burn" was a deep channel in the top piece. A strong push of air along the center air inlets "carved" quite a canyon in the top piece and was on its way to splitting the wood!

The darn cold and wet gets here and it seems like no upside, then a nice fire fixes my attitude.

- Bill

Bill' make no apologies for the temp. I've lived on the coast( the other one) during the winter, and I'd take -5*F and dry over 32*f and damp ANY day. Burn baby burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.