air circulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
Going to be using a new stove next winter and I'm curious about different air circulation methods and which is best. Below is some helpful info.

As is with central air my son's room is 5• colder from the rest of the house. I use a child safe ceramic space heater to keep his room comfortable during winter months.

My options do I have for next year?

- fan in walls forcing air into rooms

- central air fan on

- blowing low cold air from rooms and into/down the hallway

- I am wondering about one idea in particular. Can I place one of those through-wall fans in each of the rooms down the hall and instead of blowing air to/from the hallway what if I blew the air through the floor and into the basement? Wouldn't this draw warm air in from the main room and hallway?

Desired temp: around 68-70f (20cel). for our wallet we keep the house at 62 and occasionally go up to 65-66 but never for very long. We just bundle up, use blankets and use a space heater for his room at night.

Stove: got a lucky and cheap deal on a barely used regency i1200 with blower. The blower pushes air a good 20' into the entryway of my L shaped hallway

My floor plan:
I have a one floor 1200sq-1500sq foot home (with a 1200sq foot basement). Walking into the house you enter an "L." shaped hallway the "." beside the "L" Is the doorway. To the left is the living room /dining room (about 600sq feet) with the insert. The kitchen is beside the long part of the entry hallway and the basment stairs are in this room. Down the hallway to the right of the entrance is 3 bedrooms roughly 100-150sqft and a bathroom small full bathroom at the end of the hallway.

I have yet to find anything that is effective as a ceiling fan or a small fan in the hallway. Central air moves air way to fast and it just cools it more. It will make your house evenly cold though! Duct or wall fans are just to small and don't have the pitch required to move a lot of air. And they are noisy.
YMMV but those are my experiences.

Reactions: beermann
Use the search function and search on "move heat" in the titles only in this forum. There will be many threads listed on this topic.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 11.34.26 AM.png

Reactions: beermann