Air compressor exhaust pipe cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hinkle

Jan 3, 2013
Portersville, PA
Searched a bit but didn't see any post related, sorry if I missed them. I did see the leaf blower ones.

I have a 60 gallon air compressor, and have been using it to clean my exhaust pipe for a few years, with good success IMO. I've never had the pleasure of seeing the black cloud like the leaf blower videos since I'm the one holding the blow gun, but the after math on the snow afterwards is indication of a good time. Just curious if anyone else has been using this method.

If curious, I have 2 - 90's before exiting through my wall to a straight pipe exit, retrofit from previous stove with a top exit vs current stove with a bottom exit exhaust. I also wrap a rubber band around the trigger and connect it to the hose while holding the blow gun in the exhaust, then feed it down the pipe.

AFTERWARDS THOUGHT If anyone is going to do this and has a probe in the exhaust/chimney, such as Harman's do, take care not to get the finger hoop on the blow gun caught. I know its required to remove for a brush so can imagine it would damage it fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I've thought about it before, but I just don't have a big enough tank to maintain high air flow for very long and I have straight 3 foot pipe out wall to a tee and then15 feet straight up to the cap.

I have run my shop vac hose with one hand behind my stove in vac mode as I gently blew out dust from behind the stove and very gently across circuit boad .... as it's in the house and I give the vac a chance to capture the dust.

That might clean the vent, but the main advantage of the leaf blower, IMO, is the large volume of air that it draws through the stove itself - cleaning out the nooks and crannies of ash.

Reactions: Mikey pellet guy
Similarly,
Every 3-4 days I give mine a pfffftt of compressed air to some pipe-plugged threads I added to the heat exchanger cleanouts. so in 3 minutes I can get most the efficiency benefits of a full clean anytime I want, without a shutdown. I save a measurable amount of fuel this way.

Not equivalent to a full clean, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: hinkle
Using my air compressor and leaf vac keeps me from using the ash vac very much. My vent is similar to yours, two 90s and a 45 then straight out the wall, without a clean-out "T", and it is quick and easy to keep clean. I only use the ash vac to clean around the glass seal, under the ash pan and the hearth pad so it goes all season without being dumped.

Similarly,
Every 3-4 days I give mine a pfffftt of compressed air to some pipe-plugged threads I added to the heat exchanger cleanouts. so in 3 minutes I can get most the efficiency benefits of a full clean anytime I want, without a shutdown. I save a measurable amount of fuel this way.

Not equivalent to a full clean, of course.

That is a great idea, and will be a future project.

Using my air compressor and leaf vac keeps me from using the ash vac very much. My vent is similar to yours, two 90s and a 45 then straight out the wall, without a clean-out "T", and it is quick and easy to keep clean. I only use the ash vac to clean around the glass seal, under the ash pan and the hearth pad so it goes all season without being dumped.
Why would you not have a clean out TEE?

My exhaust runs straight out with a downward angled end cap, with the exception of the 2 - 90's to run out the existing hole in the wall with the previous stove. I do not have a vertical rise outside.

I use my air compressor in conjuction with the leaf blower as part of my regular cleanings. i leave on the leaf blower while i hit the stove from inside with the compressed air. the leaf blower keeps soot from getting in the house.

i shop vac it first of course to get the bulk out but the above method really finishes it off nicely

Reactions: ABusWrench