Air control automation using robotic arm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireUpTheChainsaw

Oct 17, 2022
Trumbull, CT, USA
Behold! The problem i was trying to solve is forgetting to turn the air control down after reloading the stove. They way this works in this prototype is I press a button on that keypad, after which a timer starts. Every minute the robotic arm moves to the right a little bit and as a result the air control closes a little bit. The whole cycle takes about 20 minutes to go to halfway air closed. I can also use the keypad to tell it to close it more (or less). I can even set a delay of 5 minutes so it doesn't start closing it before that. The round thing on the air control is a magnet, which is how it gets dragged when the arm moves. This all works surprisingly well.

Version two will have a temperature sensor that will open/close the air control as needed to maintain a set temperature (think of those coils on Blaze King, only digital). Also, I could make it beep loudly if the stove temp is too high/low.

For those technically inclined, I used an Arduino to program the whole thing. If anyone is interested, I can send you the code.

IMG_20221106_133205_01.jpg

Have you seen this thread?

Now you just have to remember to push the button;)

Ideally, based on temperature say 20 minutes before, it would choose on its own 1 of 3 modes, start up, cruise and coaling. And you could chose a low medium or high output. Programming how it knows what burn stage it’s in is the challenge. I can just look at it. I know if the load was big or small and based on some rough estimate of time and how the flames look know the temp is coming down and I don’t have to adjust the air settings to try and maintain my set point temp.

Cool project