Primary Air Control Automated Closer for Jotul C450 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 20, 2009
New England / S. NH
Hello, Long time since I've logged in. How is everyone?

Once again I loaded up my stove for the evening, added a not quite fully seasoned chunk, so left the Primary Air Control open to give it a good start.... and FORGOT to CLOSE IT.

The lever moves aprox 6 inches through a slight arc. I see some have done Damper Control with elaborate temperature sensors, but I think I could live with a simple Old Skool wind up mechanical closer. Something that slowly pushes a mostly linear lever the six inches (15 cm) over 10 or 20 minutes. Has anyone found such a widget? Built one?

Instead of that I would recommend getting a high temp alarm on your chimney, I installed a thermocouple and used the AT200 on my install, you can set the alarm to 800 degrees or whatever works on your install. Will remind you when your over temp and you won't need to mess with anything else.

small-jpg.122155

Reactions: EbS-P