Air Control Was Totally Shut Off & Now Have Black Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dboone

Nov 22, 2008
Western Missouri
Today for the first time I coached my wife on adding a few logs in the middle of the day so I would still have some good coals when I got home from work. I guess I didn't show her the right way to reduce the air control. I came home and found the air control pushed all the way in and the glass was so black that you barely see a flame behind it. There was also some wet looking creosote at the top on the inside of the door. The logs that were in there appeared to have been smoldering since they also were all black. Do you think this was due entirely to the air being completely shut off? The good thing is that I am having a chimney sweep coming out on Friday to see how much buildup I have in my first couple months of burning.

When I first read the title I thought you were referring to a gas product...
'Course this IS the GAS forum...
But, in answer to your question, with the air completely shut-down, or 80% shut-down on a CB stove, you smoldered your wood & that's
where the creosote build up came from...a 15 - 20 minute WIDE OPEN burn should clean the glass without any additional help/input from you...
That build up is also in your chimney & the WO burn should remove a LOT of that, too...
Generally speaking, if you load & dampen down the fire 3X per day, you wanna have a WO burn 3X a day...
Kinda never-ending battle, but that's the way it is when ya burn wood...
Having the sweep stop by is probably not a BAD idea...be there to watch & you'll see that you can do it yourself with a minimal investment for the brush & rods...

Status
Not open for further replies.