Air-Cooled Chimney Ripout...Advice for separating pipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Islander08

Nov 20, 2008
Northern Vermont
Hi Folks,

I'm doing a swap of an builder-box open fireplace with air cooled chimney to an EPA fireplace with insulated chimney. The old one is a Superior fireplace, with their 2-piece chimney (8" S/S ID, 12" Galv OD) in 3' sections. New one will be a BIS Nova that fits in the existing rough opening.

I'm trying to remove the old air-cooled chimney from a chase. I'm planning to disconnect the chimney at the fireplace, remove the fireplace, and lower the cold chimney down, removing one 3' section at a time. I need to saz-all off a wall band, then the chimney is free to fall (currently held with come-along).

I'm finding the joints between sections tough to separate! Does anyone have any advice for how to easily separate the pipes at the joints? Seems like those little tabs really hold after assembly.

I suppose I can saz-all the thing out, but hoping to save the chimney sections for future use at a friends 3-season camp...

Thanks! Jeff

Sawzall the first piece in half. Go up on the roof and pull it out in one big piece.

Other option would be to use a screw driver to pop all the tabs off, but it will take a while.

Thanks for the advice on the chimney ripout.

I ended up saw-zall'ing the first section, which was a 30deg offset/return pair. Gota love that saw-zall feeling.

Next I'll try pulling the pipes out separately from the roof on a calm day. If that gets a little scary, I think I can remove it by saw-zall'ing one more section from below. That still leaves enough for 15' of chimney, which is the minimum for the fireplace.

Will report on results...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.