air eliminator questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waynewagner33

Dec 25, 2013
milford pa
i have two taco hy vents in my system one on each heating zone the problem is they both stopped functioning I take foo the cap and they leak live crazy I tried cleaning them out by pushing on valve but only more water and leaking does not stop I have to tighten caps to stop water is there a better brand of vent then the taco

i have two taco hy vents in my system one on each heating zone the problem is they both stopped functioning I take foo the cap and they leak live crazy I tried cleaning them out by pushing on valve but only more water and leaking does not stop I have to tighten caps to stop water is there a better brand of vent then the taco

Maybe has some sludge or sediment stuck between the seat and needle valve. Is the entire top removable so you can get the guts out and clean and inspect? You need to isolate the vent or drain the fluid down if it doesn't have a check or isolation valve.

Is it a closed pressurized system? You should have at least 5 psi for the vent to seal properly.

You might want to replace with a manual vent called a coin vent. Once the air is out of the system you shouldn't have to worry. With a manual vent you don't have to worry about leaking and causing bigger problems.

Reactions: ewdudley
Amazing timing Wayne. Just tightened the cap on my taco this morning due to the same problem. FWIW mine was perfect until I reduced pressure. Interesting on Bob's comment. Thx Bob. Water and chemicals making a mess and prob part of the problem.

The last few I purchased were welded or pressed in such a manner that they were unable to be dismantled. I have dismantled a few years ago and was able to repair them. I have found particles, sludge and other unidentifiable crap in them but the one that sticks in my mind is the one I found that had a glob of soldering paste gumming up the float. I surmised that over time the system scavenged the paste and it all got deposited in the eliminator since it was at the highest point.

When installing these things don't forget to install an isolation valve since they are a consumable and need to be replaced periodically.

Yeah Fred, I have unions and isolation valves on both sides of all my components that I thot may need service. Looks to be leaking out the fitting with the small cap. The water treatment stuff is making icicles on the taco. Way over due to check the water treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.