• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kringoslice

Feb 5, 2021
North Dakota
Hi there,

I have a PP130 Pelpro in my center room (Having multiple feeding issues with it btw), with vaulted ceiling’s throughout the house. What is the best way to get heat transferred throughout the house? As you can see in the photo, my fan in that room is hanging from a rafter almost in the center of the room. Counterclockwise? Clockwise? Push air up or down? The heat is getting trapped up top obviously. There is also two door ways that enter the room from each side, one going to our bedroom and the other to the living room. I’ve read on other forums to blow cold air from these room into the stove room? I’ve wanted to put through-wall fans up high in the stove room to push air into each room, but it will be a can-of-worms I do not want to open up if there is other alternatives, as I have tongue and groove walls. (Not the easiest to move outlets/wiring.)

Any feedback and or tips is greatly appreciated!

EE60E121-8924-41D8-8311-82967C4A04FF.jpeg

Reactions: SidecarFlip
If you could turn that stove to point the fan at an open doorway that will help. And then put a fan on top of the stove to assist in that push...

Cutting holes in the walls might help, but you're also increasing the risk that if you have a fire (for any reason) it will spread quickly through the whole house.

The ceiling fan running like normal would push the warm air down towards the floor, and then a fan in the room pointed at an open door would move some warm air into the other room...

Good luck!

Reactions: kringoslice
Moving heat around is always a work in progress for me. For the ceiling fan I have always heard that for winter heating you run it in reverse, meaning you pull the air up instead of blowing it down. For moving heat to other rooms it seems to work better if the fan is lower and you pull cold air out of the other rooms and blow it into the stove room. This causes the hot air that is higher in the stove room to flow into the other rooms. It may help if you can open up something between the rooms up high for the heat to flow easier.

My issue with trying to blow hot air to rooms is that it always seems to cool the air down and doesn't work well when the fan is lower or turned on high.

Hope other more experienced people will chime in.

Reactions: kringoslice
“My issue with trying to blow hot air to rooms is that it always seems to cool the air down and doesn't work well when the fan is lower or turned on high.”

Exactly what my problem is too. It almost seems to be worse for me when my fans are on. Rather than just letting the heat radiate to the other rooms. The problem is the stove room gets insanely hot that way, around 90 degrees, and the other rooms next to it are around 70ish.

It’s a very poorly insulated house that I basically got for free with the property, which cools the other rooms down very fast. It’s in North Dakota.. feels like temp is -17 right now, looking to be -20 to -30 in the coming days..not fun.

Thanks for the feedback!

I for one will never understand why a person would buy a space heater to try and heat their homes?
The best way I have found to move heat to where wanted is to put a fan on the floor in the door way and push cool air towards the stove. This forces warm air into the room.

Ceiling fans push the heat down in the winter, lift the cooler air up in the summer. It's easier to move cooler air than move warm air. I use 2 small fans to return cooler air towards the stove. My stove is in the basement. Central stair case is the cold air return to stove. I use the air handler on the heat pump to circulate the air in the entire house, cycles just like a forced air furnace. I also use 4 small fans to push warm air into the open cold air returns. When the air handler kicks on to circulate air, it over powers the smaller fans and pulls thru the cold air ducts. When the air handler cycles off, the small fans return to pushing warm air back up the cold air returns. Hope you can understand this setup. It works rather well.

I for one will never understand why a person would buy a space heater to try and heat their homes?
The best way I have found to move heat to where wanted is to put a fan on the floor in the door way and push cool air towards the stove. This forces warm air into the room.

Johneh, I concur. I installed the pellet stove as a quick fix for now. Which does work, just wanted to see if anyone had any tips for moving air.

I also have Electric baseboard heat(expensive here and was already installed) , and recently placed a 1,000 gal propane tank outside ready to plumb in a propane furnace when it gets nicer out.

Thanks for the feedback though! I may need to try a bigger fan maybe? And push air into the stove room

Ceiling fans push the heat down in the winter, lift the cooler air up in the summer. It's easier to move cooler air than move warm air. I use 2 small fans to return cooler air towards the stove. My stove is in the basement. Central stair case is the cold air return to stove. I use the air handler on the heat pump to circulate the air in the entire house, cycles just like a forced air furnace. I also use 4 small fans to push warm air into the open cold air returns. When the air handler kicks on to circulate air, it over powers the smaller fans and pulls thru the cold air ducts. When the air handler cycles off, the small fans return to pushing warm air back up the cold air returns. Hope you can understand this setup. It works rather well.

Yep makes sense, this is somewhat of a temporary modular cabin I live in with a single floor and no registers or ventilation system. Just electric baseboards were in here. I threw this pellet stove in as a quick fix for the winter. But I could try and incorporate that as much as possible to my setup.

I could also see how the heat would maybe radiate through your floor on your setup? Just curious as I will probably be building a house soon and would like a backup heat source if my power were to go out. (I have a battery backup/ generators for my current stove that I would maybe use on a future house with basement)

Reactions: ABusWrench

I would think a lot of us, myself included, grew up with wood heat and used it ourselves for a time. A wood stove is likewise a space heater but people have heated their houses with that for centuries. A pellet stove sized right is a safer, cleaner, more convenient alternative to accomplishing pretty much the same thing. Some houses are more conducive to a single point source of heat. Now I wouldn’t rely on a pellet stove without a backup source. I have a whole house boiler but it costs a lot more to run, so if my stove heats the whole house to an acceptable temperature for less money, then why not?

About the fans. At least my experience. I have a ceiling fan a few feet from the front of the stove, it was there when I moved in. If I blow the air down, the stove corner gets about 5 degrees hotter. If I blow the air up, the stove corner gets about 5 degrees hotter. The heat is finite so therefore if the corner is hotter, less heat is getting to the rest of the house. I just leave the fan off. But sometimes the heat rising is enough to rotate the fan.

Cold air is denser so pushing the cold air across the floor to the stove would technically be more effective. But I think most people including myself push the warm air because who wants to feel a cold draft? My old house had a shelf behind the wood stove for a fan to push the warm air out of the corner and I used it any time the stove was going.

Simple answer..

Because the salesman told them it can and they took him (or her) comment as gospel. Of course they never investigated the total BTU output or the fact that in reality all of them (with the exception of a central furnace add on) are space heaters.

Reactions: johneh
I would add a piece of 45’ exhaust pipe and angle the stove so it points right underneath that ceiling fan, the difference will be very noticeable...shouldn’t be that difficult to do either.

I agree the stove outlet would be better pointed to an open area with a 45 pipe.