Air gap between Duratech and thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bootjack

Jan 31, 2021
NW PA
I am installing through the wall 6" Duratech. There is a gap of about a 1/4" between the pipe and Duratech collar. This seems large. I am concerned that the supplier may have put a larger diameter thimble (maybe for a duraplus) in a duratech 6DT-WT box. The box was open when I purchased it. If this is an acceptable gap, how do you air seal this?

Interior thimble.jpg Exterior thimble.jpg Thimble box.jpg

Use a good quality silicone adhesive like GE Silicone II to seal the gap.

Get some black silicone and seal around the pipe at the thimble. Then install the thimble cover.

Dura tech only has a single piece inside I guess. Just make a clean bead of black silicone around the gap. I can’t believe they didn’t even caulk outside. Strange

Thanks all. The gap is apparently normal. The pics just shows the pipe fitted to see how things look. I didn't like the gap. Now I know how to deal with it but still think they could have had tighten the tolerance.